cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create single LoV across many reports in crysta reports

former_member201536
Participant
0 Kudos

I have previously developed many reports with dynamic cascading parameters using Crystal Reports 2008 but every time I create the parameters I used to do only in reports using Dynamic option in parameter window (As that is the only option I am aware of).. Also all reprots have same hierarchy. This was working fine...But I am unaware the fact that every time I create the dynamic paramter there will be new (DC, DF, BE and BV) are created when I tried to check unfortunately the list was huge and it is quite unmanagable.

Then I tried to create the BV inside the Business View Manager and use that in report which was fine as I was aware of which business view and LoV I am using.. so far its working fine.. But I am struck at the point now.... There are 15 reports which use 15 different Fact tables but use same Dimension tables same set of LoVs. In this regard anyone help me with the following points in Business View Manager:

1. Can I create a single Business View with all 15 Fact tables? If yes... how can I differentiate between the fact tables to be used in report? Is there any concept of Context in BusinessView Manager as we use in Universe

2. If I need to create 15 Business Views for 15 fact tables then how can I use the same set of (LoV or more specifically Prompt group) across all business views so that deugging and managing are easy.

3.If above methods are not feasible, Experts please suggest me the efficient way to accomplish the task where there are 15 fact tables which use same set of dimension tables and same set of Paramters or LoV.

If it is a immature question I apologize.. as I am old to Crystal Reports but new to Business View Manager.

Thanks for your time

Siva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

I'm going to answer you question in the title first. You can and ideally should (as a best practise) create LOVs that can be shared across reports.

If there are 15 reports that use the same LOV, you should create them in the Business View Manager and simply point the 'Dynamic Prompt' that you create in the report to this LOV. To do this, just click the 'Existing' radio button in the prompt screen and select the LOV from the drop-down.

1) You can add the 15 fact tables and the one dimension table in a Data Foundation. You can then create individual Business Elements off of this one Data Foundation (E.g: Sales BE, Orders BE, Bookings BE etc). These Business Elements can then be consumed in a Business View which eventually exposes these Busienss Elements to the report developer.

So a report designer interested in reporting Sales info only needs to select the 'Sales BE'.

Since CR doesn't support 'Contexts' unlike WebI, the Business View Manager doesn't support this too.

2) You don't need to create 15 separate Business Views - you just need 15 separate Business Elements and 1 Business View.

For easy maintenance of the LOV, I recommend creating another Business View that has just the one field from the dimension table. You might want to create a separate folder for storing all the objects related to this LOV for easy access and maintenance.

Another easy way to setup prompts, if you do not wish to waste time in creating all the objects in BVM is by creating a blank report > adding a dynamic prompt that points to the database field > saving the report to the repository (maybe your personal folder or favourites). This creates all the required objects for you that you can easily manage.

Hope this helps.

-Abhilash

former_member201536
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash

This was an excellent explanation of the problem but please clear few queries that are related to your provided solution.

If I link 15 fact tables in a single Data Foundation and please be noted that those fact tables are not at all linked with each other, So will there be any issue with this approach as it is compulsory to link all tables that we take in a Data Foundation.

So my structure will be 15 fact tables will be linked individually with 4 dimension tables... and no fact table is linked with each other.

Thanks for your patience and continous assistance.

Svia

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know the database structure you're working on so I can't comment on whether there'll be any issues with the links et al.

Since you said that each Fact Table is used in 15 separate reports, I don't see any issues with Joins as they'll never (?) be used together in a single report.

As long as the the BEs refer to the right dimension and fact tables you don't have to worry.

-Abhilash

former_member201536
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash....

Your inputs are really helping me to learn Business Views...

As per your suggestion I have created 15 Business Elements for 15 Fact tables now I am struck at the point where I am unable to understand how manu Business Views I need to create...

To my understanding I need to create 15 Business Views for 15 reports but I am unsure needed your assistance in this aspect to complete my business view creation.

Please help me whether to create 15 Business Views or 1 business view for 15 fact tables in the same way how many LoV I need to create 15 or 1...

Thanks for your time and patience.

Siva

former_member201536
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash

Sorry for troubling you again.....

Can you please guide me through the rest of the process.

Thanks

Siva

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Please create a separate thread for the questions you have above per SCN's rules.

-Abhilash

former_member201536
Participant
0 Kudos

I am really unaware of the rules... as per your suggestion created another question.

Please find it here

Thanks for your support

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The link to the SCN Rules of Engagement are typically on the Overview page of each SCN page. Unfortunately, that still does not make it easy to find so here is a link - it's great read for when you have trouble falling asleep :

- Ludek

SCN Moderator

former_member201536
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek... thats a great hint on when to read LoV

Answers (0)