Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operation scheduling during capacity leveling on work center

dennis_rechards
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Need help regarding the capacity leveling at work center. The scenario is as below

Order Nowork centerOperationWork
1001ABC001011 hrs
1001ABC00207 hrs
1002ABC001010 hrs
1002ABC00208 hrs

Two order , having two operations each , with same work center. The day's max capacity is 8 hr.

Now while I'm dispatching these orders for leveling , in CM25, I want system to schedule the completion of all operation related to Order 1001 first. Means first it should complete both operations (0010 & 0020) of order 1001 and then it should look for the available capacity and schedule order 1002 (Operation 0010 & 0020)

But in actual, system is scheduling operation 0010 of all the orders and then operation 0020 for all orders , means system schedule order 1001 (Op=0010), then it schedule 1002 (Op=0010)

Once all 0010 got scheduled, then system starts with 1001(Op=0020) followed by 1002 (Op=20)

Can you please advise , what settings need to be maintained in order to get the desired outcome.

Regards

Denny

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dennis,

Capacity planning/levelling is a huge area with lots of profile/config options.

There used to be several PDF documents by SAP on the web relating to these topics.

Try to download them for more detailed info.

PeteA

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Dennis

I tried with the following. Now once you start building relationships between the work order operations (ie FS relationship between 1001-0020 and 1002 - 0010.) you need to build the rest too so 1001-0010 and 0020 must have FS and similarly 1002-0010 & 0020 should have FS too.

Now next, I used the following strategy profile parameters (Now as this is using finite scheduling, don't forget selecting finite scheduling in your work center master data):

Now you can check your dispatch sequence with transaction code CY39. You can update the above mentioned settings in your strategy profile (create preferrably a new one and use that one).

Summary:

1) Build relationships within the work order and between the work orders.

2) Check your strategy profile and update them

3) Check your work enter capacity view - select Finite Scheduling

4) Check your dispatch sequence (TxCode - CY39). By playing with this layout, you may use different fields which are used in dispatching! (For example, you may want to include priority as well as start dates/times of operations etc. )

I hope this will help.

Regards

Message was edited by: Savas Yazici

dennis_rechards
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Savas ...Thanks for the reply..

I tried with your solution, but unfortunately..It's not working for me.Now it's scheduling all second operations (0020) firstly for all the orders and then looking for 0010.

If I'm trying with strategy profile SAPPM_T002 with dispatch sequence SAPSFCSS71 and maintaining FS relation between Order operation, seems its working okay.

But here my doubt is -

1. If we hard code the relation between operations, if needed (due to any reason), planner may not be able to shift the operation to some other day via drag n drop. (Please confirm

2. We have a large volume of orders created every day (around 100 orders with 5 operations each), is it practically feasible to maintain the FS relation between all the orders & operations on daily basis. Any better suggestion on this to mass maintenance of relation?

3. Any idea about any other dispatch sequence, which can fulfill the requirement, without hard code the FS relation between Operation.

Please revert.

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis

I will try to comment on your points:

1) When you build relationships between orders/operations, SAP will still allow users to dispatch operations (via drag and drop) in the "reverse" order or to different dates. (Automatic dispatch  will use the strategy and will strictly follow whatever was selected there.)

2) No... It is not! Unless you are sure and it is mandatory to follow a certain relationship, don't use relationships. Instead, split them into manageable groups. You can group them by planner groups, priorities, by main work centres and then due a "rough cut" scheduling to those groups first. Say these 20 of them will be done early in the morning and these will be done afternoon. etc. (Usually these groupings are done weeks in advance. And we recommend using weekly/monthly revisions to group orders. Smaller groups will allow scheduler to be able to concentrate on smaller amount of operations. They can use automatic dispatching for some of them and the rest they can manually dispatch.  (I don't know.. I hope I am not trying to 'teach" you something you already knew and have been using.)

3) It depends... You have to clearly identify what do you expect from SAP Capacity Leveling... Automatic dispatching is feasible only if you give correct information & instructions to SAP. Now in this specific example, when you build the relationships and when you schedule, SAP updates the earliest/latest start dates end dates. And the layout that was mentioned was using the latest start dates and times. So the relationships was only updating the dates and times. Dispatch sequence was not checking the relationships. It was checking the dates and times. So if you update them manually, then it will work exactly the same way with the relationships. The other thing is priorities. So you can tell automatic dispatching to consider priorities first and automatically dispatch the items by priorities and if they have the same priorities, then it can check the earliest start / end dates & times etc. Once again, in that specific example, you need to tell SAP to dispatch order - x before Order - Y by using some of the fields... Priority...Start dates & times... ABC indicator (if I want to dispatch highly critical jobs first etc) Otherwise, you should continue using drag and drops.

I am not sure whether this helps a little bit.

Regards

Savas

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dennis,

I'm guessing that both orders have the same basic start date??

And that both operation 0020 go into the following day?

Can you send a screen-shot of CM25

PeteA

dennis_rechards
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pete, attaching the Order Operation dates before and after dispatching operation.

Hope this will give you a clear understanding ...

Here the requirement is to schedule operation 0020 of Order  10001 immediately after operation 0010

then Order 10002 , operation 0010 should be started, followed by 0020 and so on....

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis

Have you tried building relationships between these orders? In your case, you may build a FS relationship between 1001-0020 and 1002 - 0010. (Normally you do not need to build FS relationships within the same order like 1001-0010 FS 1001-0020 etc. as SAP considers FS by default within the same order.) 

Cheers

Savas

dennis_rechards
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Savas,

I tried with the way u stated ....still getting the same result.

Still unable to schedule all operations of first order completely then starting second order.

System is picking all operation 0010 for all the orders first ....then start looking for operation 00020.

Guess this might be achieved via setting of "Strategy profile". Do any one know ..what setting exactly need to be maintained here in order to achieve the required result ...

Looking for valuable replies..

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Denny

What transaction/profile are you using to capacity level your order/operations?

PeteA

dennis_rechards
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

Here with attached the screen shot for better understanding.

I'm using Overall profile SAPPM_G006 and doing leveling with Transaction CM25

Please advise ..