cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Release upgrade Configuration phase parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Masters

We are upgrading our BW environment from NW 7.0 to NW 7.4  using SUM tool with NZDT parameters active. We have finished with out test upgrade, now before proceeding with the next upgrades, need expert advice in selecting the right values in configuration phase, for the below 2 parameters.

1. Enter the maximum number of processes used

CRR Processes : < By default tool took value 3>

I don't find any supporting SAP notes on this topic, how this number matters & how good I can further tune this value.

2. Enter the maximum number of parallel phases to run:

PARALLEL PHASES (UPTIME )

PARALLEL PHASES (DOWNTIME)

Unable to understand the above, precisely which phase or session. How we can optimize this number.

Thanks & Regards

Rajesh Meda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There are phases during the upgrade uptime and downtime where parallelism can be used. The tool is prompting for the number of TP and R3Trans processes to be used for these phases. If you have sufficient hardware resources then you may increase them. Check SAP note 1616401 - Understanding parallelism during the Upgrades, EhPs and Support Packages implementations

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Thanks for replying !!

I have gone through that SAP note, and clear how the tp going to initiate the R3trans based on the mainimp_proc

While running parallel sessions tp making use of the number given for max R3trans

however I failed to understand the below section.

Enter the maximum number of parallel phases to run :

PARALLEL PHASES (UPTIME)

PARALLEL PHASES (DOWNTIME)

In my case by default it is set to 6 in both uptime & downtime, and from the logs I can see that tp is successful in launching the 8 parallel session ( 2 tp & 4 R3trans ), so Its still not clear for me what this PARALLEL PHASES number represent ?

Thanks & Regards

Rajesh Meda

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is an explanation provided in the SUM guide for these parameters in the chapter Background Process and Tool Parameters.

3.10.4 Background Process and Tool Parameters

● BATCH PROCESSES (UPTIME) and BATCH PROCESSES (DOWNTIME)

Number of parallel background processes and activator processes used by tp. We recommend a value that is high enough to enable parallel processing, but small enough so that the production system is not affected.

● DDL PROCESSES (UPTIME) and DDL PROCESSES (DOWNTIME)

Number of parallel DDL processes used by tp to execute database statements

● R3TRANS PROCESSES (UPTIME) and R3TRANS PROCESSES (DOWNTIME)

Number of parallel import processes used by R3trans to import data into the database. Note that these processes can generate significant loads on the database.

● PARALLEL PHASES (UPTIME) and PARALLEL PHASES (UPTIME)

Number of parallel phases used by SAPup

● R3LOAD PROCESSES

Number of R3LOAD processes. When you enter the value 1, you have to calculate an import time of 6 hours for the EU_IMPORT phases. If the load on the database during the import is an issue, you can slow down the import of the substitution set to reduce its influence on the production system. To achieve this, enter a value lower than 1. The runtime is then extended to 6 hours multiplied by this factor. For example, the value 0.5 will slow down the import to last 12 hours.

The above information is taken from the SAP provide SUM guide.

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000783532011E/sum_abap_unix_oracle.pdf

Regards

RB

Answers (0)