Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggregates on BPC generated Cubes

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are on BPC10,Support pack 10.

I wanted to create aggregates on BPC generated cube.Anybody have implemented aggregates on BPC generated cubes?

We are not doing full optimization,as we have transformations on for retraction.

My question here are, Aggregates have any negative impact for BPC functionalities?

After creating aggregates in production system,if we import other tranports,these aggregates would be removed?

Thanks,

Manohar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manohar,

Yes, we tried aggregates on top of BPC cubes and it worked fine. But then got HANA and stopped using those aggregates.

Regards,

Gesh

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gersh,

Thanks for your reply.I too used BW Accelerator for BPC cube in my previous client.But never used aggregates.Had you faced any issues while transport imports?Any negative impact on BPC functionalities?I think light optimization may take 2-3 more minutes for aggregate rollup.

Thanks,

Manohar

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manohar,

We didn't come to transports, but I don't think it should be any issues as long as generated object technical names are same across the landscape. You'd have to transport BPC objects in one transport and BW objects, including aggregates, in another transport.

How much roll-up will take depends if you set auto roll-up or not and how often you run LO. Alternatively, you can decouple those 2 processes by creating separate Process chains and run them independently.

Regards,

Gersh

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gersh,

Could you please shed some lights on how you created aggregates on top of BPC Cubes ?

* In the traditional SAP BW World, we use the transaction RSRT/Debug feature to define which aggregate is best suited for a particular BW query.

Obviously we can not do that for SAP BPC.

* The automatically generated aggregates, based on Statistics, are worthless (bot in BW and BPC)

Thanks

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's trial and error process. You create aggregate that you think should help, run your BPC report and then check if number of times aggregate was used increased and when was the last time it was used.

Hope this helps.

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes,in my case,I know what needs to be there in my aggregate.We have almost 10 categories.Out of which users mostly use 1 category.So if I create an aggregate,I am sure,performance would be improved.

Thanks,

Manohar

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

In most of the cases aggregates on BPC cubes do not work.

If your EPM report generates RSDRI query,reads data from aggregates and aggregates are useful in this scenario.

For this,you need to have all the base members in the report.And no custom measures and no dimension formulas.

If any parent hierarchy,custom measure,member formula;MDX query would generated and aggregates are not useful in this scenario.

for more details:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-65252

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think it is an interesting question ,that has been asked several time ... but never clearly answered.

We are performing "Light Optimization with Zero Elimination" and are still observing poor performance.

And like many others SAP Customers, Hana is not an option at the moment, so configuring Aggregates on top of BPC Infocubes would really help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you explain why you want to have aggregates?

You can use Light Optimization with Zero Elimination, if the requirement is to compress cube.

Regards,

Bindu

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bindu,

We have almost 340m records,out of which 7m records are for Rolling Forecast data.Most of the reports are querying for Rolling Forecast data.It would be sensible to have an aggregate with Rolling forecast category.

Thanks,

Manohar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manohar,

Are these reports built in BPC or BW (directly on BPC cube / MP)?

Regards,

Bindu

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bindu,

I am talking EPM reports only.Even EPM reports also hit aggregates,if we have aggregates in place,I think.

Thanks,

Manohar