Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webdynpro drop down values truncated

0 Kudos

System: PPM

Technology: Webdynpro FPM

Scenario:

I have created a custom field in /rpm/item_d table for scope
risk. The domain has three values, the description is more than 40 chars. This custom
field is configured in SPRO to display as drop down in the webdynpro Item
screen.

Problem:

values of the scope risk drop down is truncated beyond 40
chars. Similar to this field there is another custom field (schedule risk-drop down) which is displaying
more than 40 chars from the domain without any issues.

Experts, Please help me on this issue. I really don’t
understand how come values are not truncated for schedule risk but in scope risk
drop down.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Sorry for the confusion. We can't maintain more than 40 chars because SAP has a restriction for it.

Solution: trimmed the drop down value to 40 chars.

Thanks all for your valuable comments.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

gerry_hodgins
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

All the UI screens in PPM is of type 'MatrixLayout' and will span 2 columns.
if there are two columns, the UI element loaded in the first row can span only to a maximum size for that first column only.

This is the reason why the drop-down UI element is truncated, even though it displays the complete value when it is in expanded state.

to get around this you could try see

If the values defined in the dropdown tables are in running letters, then the Drop-down UI element can show more characters.

OR

Change the property 'Layout' from 'MatrixLayout' to 'FlowLayout' for the UI element 'ROOTUIELEMENTCONTAINER'
in the WDC - /RPM/ITEM_DETAILS, View - VI_ADDL_INFO.
This should create the custom fields dynamically and will load the UI dropdown elelment without any column restriction.

But the UI allignment will go (in the sense the other UI elelments will not be displayed in order - with proper spacing).

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udaya,

I was thinking that, the description text got populated to value list and due to insufficient width of drop down box, the text was truncated.But here in your case, you have enough width but text is being truncated.

As suggested by Amy, you can check the output length of your domain and try to set it to fit the no. of chars in the description.

Regards,

Rama

amy_king
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udaya,

Domains have two format lengths-- an overall data type length and an output length. Sometimes these values are different. See if the domain you are using has an output length less than 40 characters. For example,

Cheers,

Amy

0 Kudos

Same issue even if I change output char to 80. Is there any other solutions to increase the domain value description?

amy_king
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udaya,

I would say first to try logging out and back in again after changing the domain's output length-- maybe the server is caching the old definition-- but I'm surprised that didn't resolve it. If that continues not to work, you could take a different approach and instead of using domain values, manually set the value list for the drop down to see if you get the result you need.

Cheers,

Amy

amy_king
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udaya,

Class CL_WD_UTILITIES has two methods which can help to resolve your issue:

• CALC_WIDTH4DDLBBYKEY
    • Calculates the width for a dropdown list box (heuristic)
  • SET_WIDTH_4DDLBBYKEY
    • Sets the width for a dropdownbyKey element

Do a where-used on the methods to see examples of their use.

Cheers,

Amy

0 Kudos

Thanks Amy.

CL_WD_UTILITIES=>SET_WIDTH_4DDLBBYKEY is adjusting the dropdown box width and not the domain values(description) which reamains truncated.

0 Kudos

@ Arpitha & Ramakrishnappa, Thanks for your reply.

Both the fields are configured in SPRO under custom field settings.

Enable, Visible, Required properties are set true in UI Configuration. The attributes are created and rendered dynamically. We are not seeting the length manually.

Thanks.

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udaya,

It seems that, the width of ui field "scope risk" is set is not enough to display whole 40 chars. Try to adjust the width of "scope risk" drop down element.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udaya,

Both these drop downs will be of type "Drop Down by Key". Have you checked the length of the context attribute bound to the drop down??

Regards,

Arpitha