Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ABAP HR

pavanm592
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am Working as an sap ABAP Consultant, As i want to move to the advance programming like ABAP HR ,WORKFLOW i need some suggestions to go learn it in best way.

I need the best books for sap abap hr ,workflow mainly press books.

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks,

Pavan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan,

Although I believe that you may be able to find some good choices of SAP books to use as reference guides, I believe a good starting point would be focusing your research, figuring out the underlying tables (infotypes in HR) and transactions codes you will be working with.  I have included a few general points below that I hope you will find helpful:

• ABAP Development for HR has some fundamental differences than what you may be accustomed to, for example
    • We use logical databases (PNP/PCH) extensively in HCM.
    • ROUTINES and PROVIDE/ENDPROVIDE are typically used instead of select statements.
    • HR functional modules tend to begin with HR* or RH*.
    • Records are time sensitive; therefore, you will need to fetch records based on a certain date that falls between BEGDA and ENDDA
  • Depending on what area of HR you will be working, you will need to familiarize yourself with the appropriate infotypes, for example
    • Personnel Area infotypes fall between PA0000 – PA19999
    • Time infotypes fall between PA2000 – PA29999
    • Custom infotypes fall between PA9000 – PA9999
  • I suggest looking at transaction PA20/PA30 to get an understanding on how the infotypes are related and how the data is organized in the system.  Actions are used to configure the screens/order for data entry in PA30 (i.e. Hiring action, reactivating action, terminating action, etc…). The following link contains a pretty extensive list of HR transaction codes:

You can find some more specifics and examples in the following thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/729258

Lastly, I know that others have suggested the "SAP HR Technical Principals and Programming" book by SAP Press for prospective SAP HCM developers.

Good luck on your journey through ABAP HR and I hope you find the above to be a helpful start!

Regards,

Sam

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Best is to learn by doing. You can go through standard documentation available like Help or SCN also; apart from trying to get SAP Press books.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan,

Although I believe that you may be able to find some good choices of SAP books to use as reference guides, I believe a good starting point would be focusing your research, figuring out the underlying tables (infotypes in HR) and transactions codes you will be working with.  I have included a few general points below that I hope you will find helpful:

• ABAP Development for HR has some fundamental differences than what you may be accustomed to, for example
    • We use logical databases (PNP/PCH) extensively in HCM.
    • ROUTINES and PROVIDE/ENDPROVIDE are typically used instead of select statements.
    • HR functional modules tend to begin with HR* or RH*.
    • Records are time sensitive; therefore, you will need to fetch records based on a certain date that falls between BEGDA and ENDDA
  • Depending on what area of HR you will be working, you will need to familiarize yourself with the appropriate infotypes, for example
    • Personnel Area infotypes fall between PA0000 – PA19999
    • Time infotypes fall between PA2000 – PA29999
    • Custom infotypes fall between PA9000 – PA9999
  • I suggest looking at transaction PA20/PA30 to get an understanding on how the infotypes are related and how the data is organized in the system.  Actions are used to configure the screens/order for data entry in PA30 (i.e. Hiring action, reactivating action, terminating action, etc…). The following link contains a pretty extensive list of HR transaction codes:

You can find some more specifics and examples in the following thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/729258

Lastly, I know that others have suggested the "SAP HR Technical Principals and Programming" book by SAP Press for prospective SAP HCM developers.

Good luck on your journey through ABAP HR and I hope you find the above to be a helpful start!

Regards,

Sam

ronaldo_aparecido
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar.

I think you don´t need books .Tha SAP help has everything about it free.

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/print46c/en/data/pdf/paxx/pyint_programm.pdf

The sap help and sdn abap comunitty is better for learning.

0 Kudos

That's 4.6C release... I suspect there is more recent material for ABAP?