cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financila and Capacity Planning in a What If

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I am trying to understand how I can use a What If scenario in a Review in PPM. I created a review with a few items in Portfolio Management. Then created a What If scenario (Scenario classification = Planning Scenario, and Type of Scenario = Yearly Capacity Planning). I open the Capacity Planning screen where I can see the capacity planning data. There are three new columns created for each year in the scope. For example for the year 2014, there are : "2014 - Target", "2014 - Original" , "2014 - Simluation" columns. The Original and Silmulation columns are dimmed and I can change only the Target column for the "Estimated" financial view. But when I save the change it does not save it and returns the old value.

Can anybody help in understanding how What If scenario works in Portfolio Management (in the Review screen) ? I will be very thankful if anyone has good documentation about What If in PPM.

Thanks,

Khalil NaserAldin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Firstly, when a what-if is created a version (type 2) will be created and added to the /rpm/it_ver_ctrl table. A record is also created and added to the /rpm/item_d table. These records hold their own data including financial records stored in the fin plan tables

Once you have created your review you need to include the relevant Item/s that are applicable to your what-if scenario. You then click on the what-if  tab and create a new what-if for the Item/s selected previously. Once you save the what-if scenario you will see that a tab 'Items' is visible on the what-if screen - click on this and you will now see the ID/s of your original Item/s that you included in the review as well as a new record for each of these (a what if record that was created for each). You can now click the financial/capacity button and update the financials/capacity for the original as well as the what-if records. Once you close this screen (and you are back in the Review) you will see all of the What-if scenarios that you have created (under the what-if tab).

I can send you more details and examples if you want. But this is pretty easy to use/understand once you start using it. So let me know

Regards

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First, thank you so much for your detailed answer.

I will be very glad if you can send me more details and examples. My problem is with understanding the columns created by the What If scenario , specifically the "Target", "Simulation" and "Original" columns and the interplay between them. I am unable to change the values of these columns using the Functions->Distribution functionality.  When I choose to add say 100 hours, the system distributes them to the "Original" column (in the specified capacity interval), not to the simulation as I expect it. When I save the change, the system returns the old values to the "Original" column.

Example: I want to add 100 hours to the "Project Manager" group.  The Original 2013 is 900 hours and Original 2014 is 300 hours as shown below.

I choose to distribute 100 hours as shown below:

After clicking OK , the change is done on the Original columns : 2013 change from 900 to 950 and 2014 change from 300 to 350. Shouldn't it change the Simulation columns?

When I click the "Save" button the values change back to 900 in 2013 and 300 in 2014.

Thanks agian,

Khalil NaserAldin