cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECM VS CMIS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I wanted to know what features SAP CMS provides and what SAP CMIS provides.

I am verymuhch interested to know how CMS and CMIS integrate with SAP Protal role.

I know in CMS we can give read write and folder create permission to a specific group or role , but is this possible with SAP HANA CMIS?

Thank You.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

If the question is more technical than the high level understanding of SAP Provisioning of Hana Cloud platform my few cents on this are -

1 - CMIS is an open standard for content management systems.

2 - SAP Content management system (CMS) is sap's content management which is a layer on top of ECM Service hosted in SAP PO.

3 - In Hana cloud platform Content management is achieved using Document Services .

4 - Document service operates on ECM Services -

Creating a sample app -

InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();

String lookupName = "java:comp/env/" + "EcmService";

EcmService ecmSvc = (EcmService) ctx.lookup(lookupName);

try {

// connect to my repository

openCmisSession = ecmSvc.connect(uniqueName, secretKey);

}

catch (CmisObjectNotFoundException e) {

// repository does not exist, so try to create it

RepositoryOptions options = new RepositoryOptions();

options.setUniqueName(uniqueName);

options.setRepositoryKey(secretKey);

options.setVisibility(Visibility.PROTECTED);

ecmSvc.createRepository(options);

// should be created now, so connect to it

}

Hope this clarifies your Doubt.

Thanks & Regards

Jeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you mean by "4 - Document service operates on ECM Services" ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dieter,

4 - Document service operates on ECM Services.

By this I mean document services internally use the same ECM Api which is used for ECM. I.e -

InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext(); 

String lookupName = "java:comp/env/" + "EcmService"

EcmService ecmSvc = (EcmService) ctx.lookup(lookupName); 

try

// connect to my repository 

} 

By Doing this it creates an instance of EcmService which is ecmSvc object and using this object all handlers (Methods) get executed. For the details you may refer to Package com.sap.ecm.api . Please let me know if you have different understanding or correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks & Regards

Jeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was wondering what you are referring to by "ECM".

The Document Service has its own API. It has nothing to do with e.g. SAP NetWeaver ECMI.

former_member202734
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

sorry if it is a stupid question but...

Is it possible to connect the HCP and/or Web IDE with the CMIS Connector installed on Enterprise Portal via Document Service...?

Best regards.

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

The HCP Document Service implements CMIS as its protocol. So you can connect to the HCP Document Service via pure CMIS. If the app you want to connect from is not located inside HCP but e.g. on premise (like Enterprise Portal), then your app is considered an "external application" (external to HCP), so you'd have to follow this doc: SAP HANA Cloud Platform

former_member202734
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, thanks.

I going to check this.

Vincent

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you elaborate a bit more which concrete products you are referring to?

With SAP ECM (from the subject) you mean the same as with SAP CMS (from the body of your message)?

With SAP CMIS you mean the same as with SAP HANA CMIS? Are you referring here to the cloud product: SAP HANA Cloud Platform?

Regards,

Dieter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You @Dieter Guendisch

CMIS : SAP HANA CMIS ( same which link you have given )

and

ECM : I mean content management of SAP( without hana cloud )

My question is

1. Are these both CMIS and ECM access ( create folder, read file , write file , revoking and granting access)can be integrated with portal role?

In our next devlopment we will be using hana, so can I assume we have both the functionality (1) CMIS standard (2) JAVA API which was there before hana(SAP portal role nase ACL )?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Assuming you mean with ECM this one, then yes it supports setting ACLs and using groups.

On the other hand, the HANA Cloud Platform Document Service is a cloud service offering a CMIS compatible endpoint. It supports as well ACLs and groups, nevertheless in a different way. (See the official doc here)

These two products have not very much in common, their technology stack is very different.

For the first one (SAP ECMI), it runs on top of the on-premise SAP NetWeaver Java Application Server, where the product named SAP Enterprise Portal runs as well.

The latter product (HCP Document Service) is a cloud service running in SAPs cloud platform named HANA Cloud Platform and focuses mainly on implementing the CMIS standard (which SAP ECMI doesn't) as a cloud service where SAP takes care for enough storage, computing power, etc.

Hope that helps