cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase Wan Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am currently running Sybase Anywhere 10 and connection to the database on the LAN side works great, but on the WAN side it runs really slow.

I was wondering if Sybase 16 will improve my overall performance?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Kirk,

I think you may need to consider a different approach to diagnosing your performance issue: while we certainly encourage all customers to move to SQL Anywhere 16 (as SQL Anywhere 11 is no longer supported by engineering and will not be putting out further fixes), depending on what the actual problem is, simply looking at upgrading the version may not address the root cause of your problem and may not give you any clues as to what to further look at.

That being said, there are also bugs and other things that affect both how the client and server interact, and even the performance of the database server itself - moving to SQL Anywhere 16 with the latest Support Pack will definitely give you the best opportunity to avoid all of these known issues that have been improved since version 11 was released. Even if you aren't moving to SQL Anywhere 16, upgrading SQL Anywhere 11 with the latest SP version is recommended.

1. Which version of SQL Anywhere 11 are you currently running on your clients and server?
  2. Which API are you using to access the database?
  3. Have you tried using the built-in Diagnostic Tracing in SQL Anywhere 11 to determine the performance differences for these two use-cases?
  4. Do you have a support plan with us?

Opening an incident with SAP technical support is usually the best way we can directly interact with you to collect information diagnostics and help guide you to test the two scenarios. If you're going to continue working on your own on this problem, creating a performance test with the fetchtst tool can also help determine where the performance time for particular queries is really going.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Kirk,

ASE 16 is not gonna improve your WAN connection

Dont mix up the different layers.

WAN/LAN is network layer

ASE application layer

Regarding the database performance features of ase 16 itself, take a look at the following blog post:

Best regards,

Dominik Kastner