cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded Analytics Query yields no results ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm working on an embedded analytics POC (ECC w/ local BW, no Java stack ATM). Right now, I'm trying to view data from the BEx queries in BOBJ, specifically WEBI (4.1 SP3). In the interest of simplicity, I've created a BEx query over 2O0MATERIAL which is very simple (Rows: Material, Material Group, Columns: Comparison Price Unit (just so we have a KF).

Testing the query RSRT yeilds a result, however, this is only when I select the ABAP Web option. If I simply execute the query in the HTML or list viewer, I get no applicable data found.

NOTE: In the interest of determining if this was specific to EA, I created almost the identical query over the physical InfoObject, 0MATERIAL, in the same BW client. In this case, I was able to see a result in both RSRT and WEBI, which leads me to conclude that I've missed something in the configuration of EA.

Anyone out there face a similar issue?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I may have an idea as to why this isn't functioning as we would expect ...

All this time, I've been going through the configuration guide in our NW environment and reviewing the blogs posted in this forum, specifically these:

While going through them, I've been scratching my head wondering which client I should be performing which task. We setup our NW instance with ECC in client 100 and BW in client 200. After reviewing blog (part 1) again, I realized that Raf specified his ECC customizing client as the BW client. What we ultimately did, is create a seperate BW client, just on the same server. The only concern that I have about this is why the BEx queries seem to work when running stand-alone via the button.

, if you happen to see this, can you confirm that in your work, you used the same ECC/BW client. I'm wondering if this is a pre-requisite. It actually makes sense now that I think about it, as your BW environment needs to access the datasources directly in the operative environment.

I'll see what options we have available now that we have defined our BW client. It may be too late for us to change the client using the technique provided by Raf in part 1, as we now have a fully functional BW environment.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rick - I don't want to speak for Raf, but we used the same BW/ECC client for this activity.  Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Resolved it this afternoon. Man, the documentation in the configuration guide is confusing (either that, or I'm not very bright). For anyone who may encounter the same while setting up embedded analytics using a two client approach ...

1. I believe that all steps should be performed in your ECC client. We originally performed the BI content activation in the BW client. I believe this was a mistake.

2. When performing step, "Basic Configuration for Operational Analytics", do so in ECC client and specify your BW client (in our case, ECC client was 100, BW client was 200).

3. When performing step, "Specify Client for Modeling", I specified the ECC client and ECC RFC destination (i.e. 100, DMOCLNT100). This one had me really confused as I think of modelling in BW terms. From what I understand, the ODP models need to be generated in your operative client.

4. Activate/Edit Extraction Structures. I hope it's obvious that this is done in the ECC client.

5. Start BI Content Activation Workbench. Also done in the ECC client. and confused the heck out of me. The parameters below seemed to have done the job. The way I looked at it was this: I'm running the job in ECC client to setup the content in the BW client, so, the content objects need to be installed in the BW client (i.e. DMOCLNT200), and the source system will be the current logon client (since that's where we are logged on now). For some reason, I couldn't select the BW client in the RFC destination for dialog connection, so I had no choice but to run it in the background, which I'm sure makes sense for those more technical than myself.

After all this, the query that I built over 2O0MATERIAL worked in RSRT, and I was able to build a simple WEBI report over it. Nice way to end the week ... I think I'll go have a drink or two!

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Rick,

sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I left to Germany on Friday to attend a wedding of one of my best friends.

We did indeed use the same client as our "customizing" client in DEV. The customer has a separate client for "customizing" and one for data. That actually doesn't make much sense to me (first time I work in such a setup), but that's just how it is. The BW client that I specified is thus exactly the same as the client I was logged on to (being the customizing client).

Glad to read you solved it and I'm sure those drinks were well deserved!

Cheers,

Raf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raf. I worked in a similar environment as yours years ago, and it's the only one I worked in. Very confusing. Can't count the number of times I was wondering why enhancements weren't working, only to realize I was testing in the wrong client. I think at one point, SAP was marketting this approach as a best practice, but I too found it more confusing than anything, and it clearly never caught on.

Now time to put all this together and determine how much value there is the intalled content.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wanted to update the thread again. It appears that the work that was done above was not a complete success. While I was able to get a result for a simple query over 2O0MATERIAL, it turned out to be flakey, as I could not get a result yesterday while running the same thing. Oddly, I can't determine at this point what causes the Webi report to actually pick up the data.

That said, I'm 90% convinced now that the two client approach doesn't work for embedded analytics. As I said in an earlier post, this does make sense in many ways, as the ODP's need to have direct access to the LIS datasources, which to my knowledge, can really only happen if the BW & ECC clients are together. In a traditional BW framework, the actual datasources themselves send data to BW via tRFC, using ALE as a control mechanism. This isn't the case for embedded analytics.

As I said, this is new to me, so I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that this is the case.

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, in our case, we did use the "customizing" client as the BW client (200), and got data from the "test" client (220), so it does work with multiple clients. The big difference with your setup (I think) is that we did use a client in which ECC is setup as well and not a "separate" client (for BW only).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raf/Rick,

We are using embedded BW/ODP for the first time in our SAP environment and we have similar questions about the client strategy that we are unsure of. We have 3 clients in our ECC environment: 100 - Golden Client, 110 - ABAP/Development Client and 120 - Unit Testing/Data Client. So do you suggest to set the BW Client and the ODP Modeling Client to 110 (same as ABAP Client)?

And also the ODP models seems to be client-dependent. We developed custom Z models in client 110 which we thought should be available in 120 since they are workbench objects but they aren't. We had to manually copy them from client 110 to 120 in order to do our testing. And the ODP based queries returns the data from whatever the modeling client is set to.

We are currently testing this in our Sandbox environment and we aren't sure how to proceed with the client strategy in Dev environment before we can start our project development. Could you please share your thoughts on this? Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Freddie

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Freddie,

as I stated earlier, we used the customizing client (so 110 in your environment). As far as testing with data goes, I believe we transported our models to the data client (probably "imported" them) for testing with "more" data (which is still relative of course).

Cheers,

Raf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raf for your quick response. Our typical Customizing/ABAP Client is set up as

"No changes allowed for Client-Specific Objects but Changes allowed for Cross-client objects".

When we used this customizing client as BW client/Modeling client, creating an ODP model or a Software Component doesn't prompt for a transport request since ODP seems to be client-specific. In which case we wouldn't be able to transport ODP models from Dev to test/production if we use customizing client as BW client. Any suggestions? Setting up a separate client for BW with changes allowed for both Cross-Client and Client-Specific will help?

Thanks,

Freddie

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So your customizing client in DEV is set to "no changes allowed"?! I find that pretty weird...

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rick - did you assign yourself the related BW authorizations in the ECC backend?  That would be my guess.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tammy, and good suggestion .. I've actually got SAP_ALL in both clients (ECC/BW) as this is purely POC for demo purposes. I didn't want security to get in my way . To be sure, I did a blanket auth trace in the ECC client and it came back with nothing for my user or the RFC user. Also checked SU53 for both users to be triple sure in both BW & ECC client. I've been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure this isn't security.

Right now, I'm going back through the configuration guide to see if we've missed anything. I did notice that early on I messed up when specifying the BW client for modeling, indicating a different RFC destination than the standard BI client (though still pointing to the BW client however). I changed it to the standard BI client as indicated in SCC4, but still no luck. Thought I had it there.

If I find a solution, I'll reply back. Any other suggestion welcome.