Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use Party in PI configuration?

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

When and how do we use Party in PI configuration? What are the use cases it can be used?

Can we map a business system to a party? As per PI documentation, Party is used for B2B scenario and for non SLD systems. Therefore only business components should be mapped to Party. Is this correct?

Thanks

Gopal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

engswee
Active Contributor

Hi Gopal

Yes, Party is mainly used for B2B scenarios as described by the documentation below.

A communication party (party for short) represents a larger unit, which is involved in a collaborative process. Using a communication party, you generally address a company within a business-to-business process.

Communication Party - Integration Directory - SAP Library

Usually, Business System is created in SLD for systems within the companies landscape. As such, it does not make good sense to assign a business system to an external party (although it is technically possible.) You can however assign a Business System to a party that is created to represent your company.

Some adapters require the information configured in the Identifiers of Party in order for configuration to work, i.e. AS2 ID for Seeburger AS2 Adapter, Partner Number for Customer/Vendor based IDoc partner profile.

Rgds

Eng Swee

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Refer also to my comment in the below thread on usage of Party in B2B scenarios.

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

I have scenario

System A --->JMS Adpter --> PI --> JDBC  --> Multiple receivers (DB_SYS for example)

Here I need to send data to multiple receivers based on country value in input payload. 

If the country is "MY" then send the data to Malaysian DB server, Else if country in "IN" then send it to indian DB server.

Now this requires changing JDBC connection parameter dynamically at  runtime. This is not supported by receiver JDBC channel. So ruled out.

Next option is create multiple Business systems for each receiver DB server. Then create multiple receiver JDBC channels for each. Then in  receiver determination use the receiver routing rule.

This is complicated as there are many DB servers. We cannot create so many business systems in SLD.

Therefore can I use "Party" for this?

That is, create multiple parties. PARTY_MY and PARTY_IN, etc.....

Map same generic business system (DB_SYS) to all these parties.

PARTY_MY --> DB_SYS

PARTY_IN  --> DB_SYS

Create multiple JDBC channels. Then in receiver determination's routing rule, include communication party

Condition                             Communication party                    Communication component

IF Country = 'MY'                  PARTY_MY                                      DB_SYS

IF Country = 'IN'                    PARTY_IN                                        DB_SYS

Thanks

Gopal

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal

If your only restriction is creating too many business systems in SLD, you can directly create them as Business Components (without Party) in Integration Directory. This can still be used to represent A2A scenario, you really don't need to create Party.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

Party is mostly used for B2B scenarios, i.e. when you want to describe in your scenario the business or company.

"Usually represents a company unit that is to be involved and addressed in message exchange."

You can check link below:

Communication Party - SAP XI: Design and Configuration Time - SAP Library

Configuring B2B Integration - SAP NetWeaver Process Integration - SAP Library

Can we map a business system to a party? As per PI documentation, Party is used for B2B scenario and for non SLD systems. Therefore only business components should be mapped to Party. Is this correct?

-- Business systems are technical systems which are maintained in our SLD . Business components are external systems out of our landscape , that's why it is always correct to map them with Party.

Rgds,

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

Check these links:

Regards.