cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The engine failed to start before timeout. Restart the application (HDB 10005)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I experienced many times this type of error starting a SAP Lumira Document (version is 1.17, but even trying with the new version 1.19, right after the installation):

"An Error Occured: Data Source creation failed .The engine failed to start before timeout. Restart the application. (HDB 10005)".

I've already found (also in this community) some solutions, but they seems to me like temporary fixing, because sometimes I have to deal with this problem again. Can someone please explain me why this problem happens, and if a definitive fixing is in the works?

Thank You.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Found the following on another thread and worked for me:

Deleting the folder "DataBase" (where the file Hilo.db is stored), followed by a restart of the application, will recreate the folder and should fix the issue. Path to file is C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\SAP\Lumira\DataBase

Seems this folder contained older files from a previous release install.

Regards,

Eric

former_member111657
Discoverer
0 Kudos

This worked for me, too.

I deleted all hilo.* files from that folder.

Thanks for the solution, Eric !

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi

I had similar issue. Nothing was helping untill... I adjusted memory size in my laptop. Because my laptop was equipped with 4GB in RAM that couldn't be extendet I simply adjusted virtual memory (paging size) in system preferences.

That solved the problem.

You can also adjust MaxPermSize setting in SAPLumira.ini:

-XX:MaxPermSize=1024M

This should give more memory to Lumira during start (I think it increase Java permanent space size).

Best regards, Marcin

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,

Is your system a 32-bit or 64-bit one? Can you please attach a screenshot of your Windows system screen to the blog post? This could help better adapt Lumira install prerequisites.

Thanks

Antoine

0 Kudos

I am working on Lenovo Helix with Intel i5 processor and 4 GB of fixed memory. And before setting the virtual memory size (paging size) on my laptop it was switched off (no paging). So maybe this was the root cause of the issue for me.

/Marcin

som
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio

When this happens, do you typically opening the document by double clicking the lums file? Or do you open the app first?  where does your lums file reside? Does it reside in the SAP Lumira Documents folder?

The error often occurs when the in-memory DB did not finish initializing and you are trying to access it. We have made some improvements, but if you are still seeing this in 1.19 I would like to first understand when you run into the issue and then ask for the Sybase IQ log file.

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\SAP\Lumira\iq-logfiles

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharon,

usually I open the app first, then I open the document, and that's when the error message appears. All my Lumira files reside in the SAP Lumira Documents folder (C:\Users\<user>\Documents\SAP Lumira Documents).

Thank you.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio,

please attach the IQ and Lumira log files. Sharon mentioned the location of the one for IQ. For Lumira, see C:\Users\I051666\AppData\Local\Temp\sapvi\logs. Please replace I05166 by your Windows user of course.

Thanks & regards

Antoine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antoine,

I'm sending you the requested log files as an attachment, tell me If you need anything else.

Thank you.

Regards.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Perfect. Will let Sharon and team investigate further.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Here is my suggestion:

The symptom is: the user opens lumira and tries to open an existing document, or create a new document and acquire a datasource. Instead of opening the document, or reaching the acquisition pane, the error “The engine failed to start before timeout. Restart the application (HDB 10005).”

Solution:

• Shut down SAP Lumira Desktop, make sure all instances of SPALumira.exe and iqsrv15.exe are down. You can confirm this with Process Explorer.
  • Open up “C:\Program Files\SAP Lumira\Desktop\SAPLumira.ini” and append “-Dhilo.iq.start.timeout=30000” without the double quotes, on a line by itself, and terminate the line with a CR. This sets the startup timeout to 30 seconds; the value is expressed in milliseconds.
  • Restart lumira.

Antoine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antoine,

thank you for you suggestion, I followed all your indications, but they don't seem to definitively solve the problem, 'cause I'm still dealing with it nowadays.

Does anyone have another idea?

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I can only suggest you to look the links below and see if you find more workarounds/ideas. Providing the log files would help us troubleshoot.

Redirecting...

Redirecting...

Antoine