cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certifcation for experienced manufacturing professional

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have over 25 years experience in functional areas of MM, PP, Manufacturing, plant maintenance and quality management, but I have not worked in any company that has SAP implemented. I am looking at changing my career from manufacturing to IT ( I know it is a bit late). Will doing a certification in SAP help me in changing my career. I have real in depth knowledge on the functional areas and I have worked with companies that have SAP .

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Venkatraman,

Changing a career at this juncture would be a risky proposition. I understand you have good amount of business process knowledge and domain experience, but when it comes to SAP, you are still a fresher. Salary would be a substantial constraint, even if you are able to succeed in getting SAP break.

Particularly, at this juncture of life, we may have to play the game safe rather than emotionally, as there must be many financially commitments moving around. If you can still compromise on the salary front, then you can give a try to test the waters of SAP. Then you may need to work under / with the people who are having age of your total experience. Sometimes, that makes a bit annoying. They are so young and dictating the terms, which may sometimes create ego issues.

To attain a very good knowledge and to be come an established consultant in SAP, it could take any time between 5 to 10 years, by the time, you would be at stage of retirement.

I am not trying to discourage your initiative, however, I am trying to bring out the possible situation. Now, based on this, you can take a decision.

SAP Certification is not a job guarantee program. There is no guarantee that is gets a definite job in the market. There are other elements age / education / business process knowledge / configuration skills / cultural fit / soft skills / communication etc. all plays a pivotal role in getting a job. Certification is just of the ingredient of all those things.

Hope these points would be helpful in taking a decision.

All the best.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi

Thanks for the reply. What I am envisaging is a planned transition and by no way an emotional or hurried decision.  I have worked extensively in MES / EMI software development leading and mentoring a group of software and embedded system engineers.  I am trying to find out whether a certification will be of value before spending 2.5lacs on it

Thanks again

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Venkatraman.

SAP market has matured manifold and in most cases SAP implementations are completed. Most of the companies are now looking for new dimensional and strategic solutions within SAP. Particularly, the modules like PP and PM will have limited opportunities. In every country, particularly in India, the supply is exceeded the demand. Therefore, the companies are always looks for ways to get the resources at a lower cost. There are many consultants who are certification still rigorously looking for a break. If you believe, you take a risk with 2.5 lakhs, then, I would still feel nothing wrong in it. I would look the certification as means of knowledge enhancer and new skill update. I would encourage you to take a calculated risk.

Hope this helps you.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi

Most of the companies are now looking for new dimensional and strategic solutions within SAP. 

You have very aptly summarised the current scenario in a single line.

In many manufacturing companies the core area ie the shop floor has the least importance in SAP and in most of the cases the data availability is very poor. Many companies are now focusing more and more on their shop floor due the cost pressure and and lack of live and credible data is a major road block. In this scenario, EMI/MES solutions which seamlessly integrate with ERP solutions will play a major role in the years to come. But unfortunately there are very few players in this domain and the cost involved is very high and there are many  challenges in implementing the same. In short shop floor to top floor connectivity will become important.

This domain requires engineers with in depth knowledge of manufacturing , EMI/MES software as well as ERP systems, not just certified ERP professionals with very little actual shop floor knowledge as they need to know the working of various equipments in the shop floor to gather data and integrate the same. This is the area I am trying to place my self and would like to have a SAP certification to round up my knowledge.

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Venkatraman.

Initial stages of my career was with manufacturing concerns with chemical and metal industries. I could feel the glimpse of the shop and production floors, though I am worked in internal audit and finance functions. At times, I feel working on a shop floor is much more challenging and risky, physically very tiring. You are right you will find very few individuals in the market with real shop floor experience. I am sure with your in MES / EMI software development would surely helpful and handy when it comes to SAP implementations and support.

Wish you all success.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Answers (0)