cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NW Installation Error "MS SQL Server version 10 is not supported"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

SAP NW Installation Error "MS SQL Server version 10 is not supported for the installation of this product. Solution: Use apporopriate MS SQL Server version" occurred with SWPM 1.0. I referred the SAP PAM and accordingly I downloaded the media files for installation.

More Details:

SAP NW 7.4 SR2 installation on Windows Server 2008 R2 with MS Server 2008 R2.

Please suggest me with any ideas.

Thanks & best regards,

Sinu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

matus_petrek2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same problem. MSSQL server with SP2 and latest CU13. According to PAM, 7.42 kernel is not supported with MSSQL 2008. Only 7.41, which means we should use an option with NW SR1. But the difference is kernel only (and level of SP of course), I wonder what happens once I update SP to 08 and will continue with kernel 7.41, as 7.42 seems to be not compatible - this is quite weird as it should be DCK.

Any thoughts? Can't find a note about SQL2008 vs. NW 7.4.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matus,

MS SQL 2008 not supported with new SAP NW 7.4 R2. It worked for me with MS SQL 2012. I know, nowhere in installation guide clearly described. But you can refer to the SAP note: 1951491 updated by SAP recently.

Awards points please.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Sinu

matus_petrek2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

after investigation, is clear MSSQL2008 is not supported with NW 7.40 SP08 (SR2 with kernel 7.42). Only until SP07 (with kernel 7.41).

1969546 - Release Roadmap Kernel 740

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/802456c5-dba5-3110-7284-b67945cdc...

1803986 - Rules to use SUM or SPAM/SAINT to apply SPs for ABAP stacks

(change to SP08 is again mandatory with SUM).

As result, I am going to install SQL2012.

Regards,

matus_petrek2
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have figured it out already that I have to go for MSSQL2012, but didn't find the note 1951491. Thank you!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Is the MSSQL 2012 Express Edition supported?

I get an error on the same stage using Express edition 2012, where Sreeni was getting above error!

Regards,

Suraj

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No. You must use Enterprise Edition. See Note 1651862 (Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2012).

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt for SAP Note.

Regards,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy ,

please provide log files as well as u may reinstall database & update own operating system.

Thx

Ashish

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sreeni,

MS SQL Server version 10

What are you installing ?

I think you should re-check media that you have downloaded and the installation options selected.

Is possible share the screenshot.

Also, was their any other version of MSSQL installed previously ob this system ?

If yes, was this removed completely, including registry ?

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srivastava,

Thank you for your quick response. I checked again the installation media, downloaded files are correct ones. We did not install previously any MS SQL versions.

Please find the error screenshot in attachment.

Thanks & best regards,

Sinu

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please provide the logs file for this installation and current stage.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srivastava,

But I found in regedit.exe, there are many MS SQL Server folders available. I checked the folder "MSSQLServer" for "Microsoft SQL Server" folder, the version is 10.50.2500.0 and the installed MS SQL version says "10.50.4321.0". See attachment "MS SQL Version".

I also noticed lot of errors and warnings in the sapinst log file in regedit.exe -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software. See log file "Sapinst" in attachment.

Thanks & kind regards,

Sinu

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sinu,

It looks like you have Service Pack 1 for SQL 2008 R2 installed. Have you tried applying Service Pack 2 and the latest Cumulative Update before performing the SAP installation? Also, what is the patch level of your SWPM tool?

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your quick response. It is already SQL 2008 R2 Service pack 2 (See in attachment). Currently, no cumulative update available for this version. Used SWPM, also the latest Patch level 5 released last week.

Any other ideas, please?

Thanks & best regards,

Sinu

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

v10.50.4321 indicates that you have applied hotfix MS14-044 (KB2977319) on top of your SQL 2008 R2 sp2 system. The latest Cumulative Update for sp2 is cu13, which has version number 10.50.4319. It's not totally clear if the hotfix includes everything that is in the cumulative update, so you might try applying cu13 and then re-applying the hotfix and see if that helps.

There was a reference in some of your screenshots to v10.50.2500, which would be sp1 with no cumulative update or hotfix. That's why I thought you were working with sp1.

If you are using SWPM 1.0 sp6 pl5, then yes, that is the latest patch of SWPM. You are using SWPM and not 70SWPM, right? I'm pretty sure you are, or you wouldn't have gotten even this far.

I know that the PAM doesn't specifically list SQL 2008 R2, but Note 1076022 explicitly states that 2008 and 2008 R2 are equally supported and therefore not listed separately. So, you should be good to go there. SQL 2008 R2 should work fine for NW 7.4.

So, really all I'm left with is to try to install the cumulative update (13). If that fails, I would reinstall SQL Server from scratch, update it to sp2 cu13, and then try again from there.