Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EH Sets: Arguments For or Against?

ZenonK
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All.

I'm working on a project that is using EM to monitor R/3 Sales Orders, Purchase Orders, Deliveries, Shipments and external carrier idoc messages.

The old existing EM system creates an EH for each document then combines them as an EH Set  (e.g. a Set for SO Line EH + Delivery Line EH + Shipment EH).   This works but I prefer to have 1 EH that represents an entire business process that will receive Event Messages from SO, Delivery, Shipment and carrier events.

We are now in the process of implementing TM9 and EM9. R/3 Shipments will be replaced by TM Freight Orders (and Freight Units).  I would like to replace the existing EH Sets with 1 EH for each business process.  Another option could be to create a seperate EH for the TM Freight Order and add that to the existing EH Sets.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Zenon.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190756
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Zenon,

when you go to TM i also would strongly recommend to not use EH Sets.

All existing delivered scenarios do not use Sets.

A lot of stuff you can realize by sending Messages and add additional params etc. to EH.

With features like linking to another EH etc. you also have now possibilites that were not available when Sets were introduced.

Best regards,

Steffen

ZenonK
Participant
0 Kudos

Excellent answer Steffen!!

I'll use that reasoning when I present the solution to the project lead

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kevin_wilson2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Zenon,

Firstly, I have never found a reason to implement an EH Set because you can achieve the user requirement through linking different EHs together. In addition, the answer from Steffen and SAP is the norm and always one that steers us away from EH Sets, I think mostly for performance reasons.

Secondly, I would caution you against including all the details in 1 EH. This creates a very inflexible EH when you have a 1 to many or many to many relationship for EHs. E.g. An Order can have 10 deliveries and 5 invoices. You would need good use of the message extension table to identify which events relate to which delivery and invoice. This is the approach that SAP took for the RDS Order status and exception management but I disagree with the approach unless it's guaranteed to be 1-1 or 1-2 at most. If you have a delivery status for your order line and there are 5 schedule lines for that line, 2 deliveries have been created (1 picked, the other packed), a 3rd delivery is deleted, the 4th is delivered and the 5th has yet to be created. What is your delivery status in this case? Very hard to say correct? It's for this reason that I created an EH for the SO Line and a separate one for the Delivery Line. The SO Line gets a parameter for each delivery connected to it so that when you click on it on the SO Line EH you get a list of the 4 deliveries each with their respective status listed next to it. This gives the complete and accurate information no matter how many deliveries are associated with the SO line. Hope that makes sense.

Make a good decision and as you know Zenon you are always free to reach out to me at any time to bounce these kinds of thoughts around. We go a long way back spanning from Canada and the US to Australia...

ZenonK
Participant
0 Kudos

That makes perfect sense Guru Wilson

I think we are using 1 SO item = 1 Delivery item but it's certainly something I'll watch out for.