cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risks of operating Solman and CPS on one Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

following situation: We have a Solution Manager 7.0 and SAP CPS 8.0. Currently both run on the same server and since Solman 7.0 does not really use the Java Stack we could save some money that way. Yes it has some disadvantages like only having one maintenance window for both systems, but we could live with that for several years now.

However we are now in the process of upgrading our Solman to Version 7.1. We had some workshops with SAP regarding this update and they told us, that we should split the servers and host the CPS System seperately.

The reason for this is the increased usage of the Java Stack by Solman 7.1. Redwood told us similar things and that it was also recommended before Solman 7.1 to have a dedicated server for CPS.

The thing that bothers me is that they both could not really quantify the risks and disadvantages of not having a dedicated CPS server. It was more like a "gut feeling". I must say that I agree with them, I have the same feeling. But we would not want to make this decision because of this, so I am looking for numbers.

Has there ever been done a risk analysis which quantifies propabilities and impact of possible problems of the setup? Or maybe a technical document which shows how Solman and CPS might interfer with each other when operated on the same dual stack system?

If anyone has information on this, that would be so helpful.

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Tim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

I don't have any figures to give you to back up the recommendation but here is some info from a SAP note to back up the recommendation:

1161405 - Accumulative Note for "SAP CPS for SAP NetWeaver"

"SAP strongly recommends installing SAP CPS on a dedicated SAP NetWeaver J2EE

system, because other productive applications (like Solution Manager, CRM,

Portal, etc.) running on the same server can cause spurious application

fail-overs and performance reductions, especially on SAP NetWeaver Clusters."

Regards,

David

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Risk 1:

Lets just say, you have to apply a patch on Solution manager to fix a problem or even upgrade it for some reason, would you want all your batch jobs impacted for an independent.

This way my business is getting impacted by system issue/upgrade that has minimum business impact.

Risk 2:

Java is prone to memory leaks, and sometimes the only way to fix is to restart the system. If you have components in the same system, a memory leak caused by one of them is affecting the other to the point where it can't function.

But if you have beefed up system with hyper memory and CPU, i guess you can fit both in one.

Because of the risks is why it is a "recommendation".

I guess it should be the same reason you will not install all your entire business suite in one powerful machine.

Thanks

Nanda