cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have SCN mentors, but hasn't the time come for SCN "tor-mentors"?????

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

What do I mean by SCN "tor-mentors"?

Well, "tor" is an old English word that means "promontory" or high crag on a mountain.  So SCN "tor-mentors" would have to be folks that have spent many years gaining a very HIGH level of expertise regarding things that are wrong with SAP.

And SAP surely neesds "tormentors" as well as 'mentors", because every large company that's been around for a number of years needs outside voices to tell it where it's gone wrong, gone astray, and in general not done the necessay or not done the right thing (even if necessary.)

So wadda say, Mark/Marilyn?

Could you get the t-shirts and the backpacks ordered?

I can't wait to wear my "SAP Tor-Mentor" t-shirt !!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice to see you're still haunting the forums from time to time, djh

At worst, if your idea doesn't come to fruition, maybe there can be a special mission-badge or a profile-medal showing a head on a stick or something alike?

Cheers, Lukas

P.S. If you raise an idea for this on the idea-space, I'll promote it

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I like the "head on a stick" idea a LOT, Lukas !!!

Going with it a little further, imagine a horde of developers (peasants) so aggravated with SAP's acts of non-feasance and mis-feasance that they finally decide to march on Dr. Frankenstein's (Hasso's) castle (SAP HQ) in Waldorf!!!!

I can't wait to see the movie!

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can I be a peasant in the movie? I think I would qualify.

EDIT: By the way, careful with the helpful answer/correct answer buttons in the coffee corner, they rubarb pinots! Better use the "like"-button instead.

Message was edited by: Lukas Weigelt

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ah ... thanks for the heads-up ....

Of course, to become a Tor-Mentor, one would have to accumulate a certain number of anti-points, kind of like anti-matter.

May the Force be with you!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David,

Actually the tor-mentor group might be way too large as the fanboism over HANA is approaching an apple vs android level.   It's getting to the point where for folks who lean SAP but are trying to be balanced, are getting annoyed by the antics.

That being said you wouldn't get shirts or backpacks, but rather noisemakers and screaming flying monkeys instead.  We also be required to carry old copies of books on discarded SAP products or strategies to remind of the sins of the past.  

I assume you are not coming to Las Vegas this year for teched, otherwise we could have the first tor-mentor meetup.

Take care,

Stephen

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nice to see your by-line, SJ (aka Society of Jesus - you can look it up).

No - I haven't been able to afford TechEd since the last time I could afford to be full-time perm W-2, which was 2007.

Now Mark Finnern says I should be able to afford it if Graham (?) can get up here from Australia.

But I'd be willing to bet that Graham isn't paying the mortgage on a 12Ksqft house on 40 acres and doesn't have a sig other who just picked herself up a spanking-brand-new BMW M6 ?

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Oh yeah - and speaking of HANA, if I do manage to come to Tech Ed, I'll lead a sing-along about HANA ...

it will go like the Name Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0

... Hana Hana banana fana fo fana fee fi fo Hana ...

Also speaking of HANA, it's said that a prophet is always without honor in his own house.  If you browse my back-threads at SCN, you'll see a blog I posted on Vertica c-store when my friend and mentor Bill Mann became one of Vertica's chief designer/developers.  I said that if Michael Stonebraker and Bill Mann were involved in this new concept, it was going to eat everyone's lunch, at least in the non-volatile OLAP arena, and sure enough, it has ...

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope don't need to look up that abbreivation as we have a school in our local area(SLU) run by those fine folks .

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David Halitsky wrote:

Oh yeah - and speaking of HANA, if I do manage to come to Tech Ed, I'll lead a sing-along about HANA ...

Now I'm thinking I'd pay to see that. 2015 maybe?

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Welcome to TechEd! Now please give it up for the incredible Mr. David Halitsky and the screaming flying monkeys!"

I can just smell the ratings!

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well I actually have the army of screaming flying monkeys, but I would lend a few to David to support this fine effort.  I could actually bring a few to SAP Teched this year in Las Vegas, but we will see.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about bringing some to TechEd Berlin as well? I might be there.

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm only going to Las Vegas, but if someone who is going to Las Vegas is also going to Berlin, I might arrange to have one or two sent in that direction.  If I remember to put them in my suitcase.

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey you know what, SJ (and LW)?

I have a nephew who's the creative-side owner at PlentyNYC (www.plentynyc.com).

I'm going to ask him do a mash of the flying monkeys from Wizard of Oz and that you-tube clip of "The Name Game", all interspersed with some SAP HANA boilerplate graphics in the public domain.

I will send the result to you, and you can play it at Vegas and Berlin ...

Hope he has time to do it ... if not, then surely for next year ...

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

that would be me.  Porting t-shirts and flying monkeys. If people with communicable disease can make it onto the plane I shouldn't have any problem transporting your contents.  I'll just have to cross my fingers when asked "Has anyone given you something to take onboard".

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I've always said "You da best" ...

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now I just have to remember to pack one or two of them.  If they make it to Berlin we need photos and blog on this topic .

Take care,

Stephen

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

They should hopefully show up in Berlin at dCode as they have been safely given to Marilyn.  I do request pictures from Berlin of their travels.

Take care,

Stephen

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

They are being, fed, cared for and primed to fly to Berlin.

Once I turn on the Nanny at home monitor, I'd be glad to share the pictures.

In the meanwhile here's a teaser from Teched&&dcode

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice! They even have capes, how awesome is that? 😮

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice to see you here, David!

Not sure one needs many years to figure out what's wrong with SAP. SAP should jump on this opportunity though and give The Avengers.... err... The Tor-Mentors a private SCN space (just like the Mentors have) where they could go to spit their poison and be ignored. Oh wait, that pretty much defines SCN... Nevermind then.

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Helena -

Better watch out, or SAP apparatchniks (remember who they were?) will start calling you Perfiljeva the Perfidious?

Seriously, though, I like your sense of humor - very dry ...

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
The Tor-Mentors a private SCN space

I thought that was Coffee Corner?