SAP TechEd Discussions
Join the conversation around SAP TechEd! Discuss details of technical sessions and workshops and anything else conference related.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP TechEd && d-code 2014 in Berlin

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

I'm in the very lucky position to be able to attend the TechEd Conference in Berlin this year. As things look now, I will only have to clone myself twice, since the whole HANA-Cloud-Mobile-Hype has pretty much passed me by. Here's my first draft of my session plan:

EDIT: + EXP17605 on Wednesday for Evil Twin #1

Aside from this concrete plan of what to do, I'll most likely race around like crazy between the info zones and the partner exhibitors.

How about you, folks? Are you going to attend the conference? What are your plans?

Would be cool to meet some of you in person 😆

Cheers, Lukas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Forget TechEd, I see some kind of mega-worldwide-user-group "Clash of the SAP Titans" event where we can talk about (what's opposite of the cutting edge? blunt edge?) SAP stuff. Like SAPScript.

And we could rent a house to save on the hotel. Would also be nice to borrow a private jet to save on the plain tickets (wink-wink, Dr.Plattner!). And since we have quite a few major foodies, that problem is also solved.

Location is kind of tricky, but since my sister lives in Berlin it sounds like a win-win. Well, for me at least. Come to think of it, we should even charge for the attendance and bankroll a couple of weddings while we're at it. Then hijack that SAP Big Data tour bus and go on a European roadtrip. This sounds more and more exciting by the minute!

67 REPLIES 67

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is great news ! Would you be interested in hosting an informal Birds of a Feather Session from 5:30-6:30 pm any of the evenings (topic of your choice that you think would create a dynamic conversation).

Also I'm sure and I would welcome having you participate in a Moderator's meetup if your evil twin will let you have the time.

Excited to meet you there!

Marilyn

0 Kudos

Would you be interested in hosting an informal Birds of a Feather Session from 5:30-6:30 pm any of the evenings (topic of your choice that you think would create a dynamic conversation).

Can you elaborate on what exactly happens in such a BoF-Session or rather what is expected of the host? I only found dead links pointing to TechEd 2005 content via Google.

Also I'm sure Moshe Naveh and I would welcome having you participate in a Moderator's meetup if your evil twin will let you have the time.

That would certainly be awesome

0 Kudos

The BOF sessions are not yet published because we are still garnering names of folks to lead these. They are meant to be informal, topic driven meet-ups.  Unlike the "expert" sessions where one person speaks and others listen, these sessions would be a place where people gather with a common interest to discuss a broad topic.

This is what (the executive producer of  SAP Teched&&d-code writes:

The thinking is to identify a high level topic of interest,
and to provide a very straightforward title/abstract (title would simply be the
topic; abstract would note that the session is intended for likeminded
attendees to discuss the topic).

She opens the invitation to participate in these to already attending folks and is interested in having thought leaders like yourself lead them.

is leading a conversation on Design Thinking.  I'll replicate his abstract here for your viewing pleasure.

Does Design Thinking Have a Place in Development?

Are you considering using Design Thinking (DT) in your Development process? Better yet, you’re already using DT, and have some lessons

to share. Join us in this ‘Birds of a Feather’ session, where DT practitioners, fans and also those curious about Design Thinking, will gather to answer the

following questions:

• What myths exist around DT?

• When and how DT gets incorporated into the

Development process?

• What’s necessary to ensure success use of DT?

• What’s the final verdict – Does DT contribute

positively to the Development process?

0 Kudos

Mh.. I gotta think some days about it (if that's OK). The idea intrigues me, but I'm unsure whether I'm the right person for this. Topic-wise I'd probably choose something that involves my development activities, i.e. that would be something 'common' which probably won't be all too innovative or interesting to talk about (I guess) and most likely has already been covered in tons of blogs etc. Like "Hey folks, let's talk about some ABAP, shall we? Wooooo!" Don't know if that works.

0 Kudos

Well actually back in the day we did some speed networking at Community Day around broad themes. There was an "ABAP" table but perhaps that is a bit too vague for this context.  On the other hand you yourself will be an "attraction" so I'm guessing people will be interested to meet you as well as share what they are doing with you.  Imagine!

0 Kudos

Don't worry Lukas, as Marilyn says, it probably has to be a little bit more specific than "ABAP", but hey, probably 90% of attendees are also ABAP developers (ok, maybe it's only 70), so I'm sure you will attract enough people to have a nice chat, which is all you can ask for, so at the end of a day, right?

So I'd say: go ahead and host a BoF session! You won't regret it.

Fred

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about you, folks? Are you going to attend the conference? What are your plans?

I'll do the same as last year: envy you guys a bit and weep silently, that I can't come, too. ^^

Your schedule looks like you need to talk to Doc Brown first.

0 Kudos

And we'll also be weeping silently that you can't come

Steve.

0 Kudos

I second that motion. Hope the day come soon for us to meet you face to face

0 Kudos

Same for me except I turn the volume up and throw a tantrum as to why I can't go   one day I'll go to teched/dcode

0 Kudos

My plan is to ask/beg my boss to let me go next year. ^^

0 Kudos

I'm a contractor so the cost is on me. It means flights from Australia + accommodation + cost to attend event + zero income. Then I bought a house this year and trying to schedule my wedding between go lives. I tried to suggest elope (in time for next teched) but got shut down #firstworldsapnerdproblem

0 Kudos

A TechEd wedding? That would be awesome. Do it. Go on...

0 Kudos

Scratch/ignore-> BRO

0 Kudos

Yeah, that's a bit different. House and wedding are definitly prio 1 though. d-code won't run away from you.

I'd love to go to Vegas (that won't be possible though), but I'll be happy about Berlin, too.

0 Kudos

When i came to know its not possible for me to attend this year, I said, " Next time baby when its gonna happen in INDIA"

I am not that much proficients like you guys but I love to learn a lot... precisely, HELL LOT!

0 Kudos

We have had some angst socializing the idea this year of a  #GeeksCanDance theme and another of my past hare-brained schemes was a #drumcircle which actually did happen.

I jokingly said that if I became more even disruptive to the event this year, it might prove an interesting *exit strategy*.  I've always imagined fun around flash-mobs during the keynotes for example....and I guess that there is always some fear of my being a rather loose cannon when it comes to community driven activity ideating. BTW last year they did shoot t-shirts out of a cannon during Demo Jam which was a plot that someone else hatched and managed to execute!  I guess we've made disruption viral.

But the wedding idea isn't entirely novel to TechEd.  In fact, I do know someone in the community (a good friend and colleague) who tied the knot the day before TechEd and that was staged in Las Vegas. I was invited to meet up a day early to participate in something but because the actual nature of the event was a secret I unfortunately missed the chance.......I've always regretted that.

Colleen can you imagine Elvis presiding?  I personally think Berlin is a tad more romantic.

0 Kudos

Was that friend ? - I mentioned reason for not attending on someone's status update and she linked me to her BIF showing her on a motor bike with after getting married in Vegas.

Photo is in her BIF -

Wishful thinking Wedding at Vegas TechEd and Honeymoon for Europe TechEd - now that would be awesome!

0 Kudos

If your fiancee agrees to that, he's a keeper.

Could you imagine the mass of people that would come to a "Birds of a feather"-session about the SCN points system with Julius as the host?!

0 Kudos

A Vegas wedding would not be my thing either. I'd go for Berlin. Just think of the celebration night:-) And all the free food and drink - this would save you money

And Marilyn - #GeeksCanDance? Really? I understand the angst! But drumming I could go for. Perhaps we could start when the keynote is supposed to finish, to encourage them not to overrun for a change...

I did love the t-shirt cannon. Although not as much as Maggie clearly did. I hope it makes an appearance this year too.

Steve.

0 Kudos

Perhaps we could start when the keynote is supposed to finish, to encourage them not to overrun for a change...

You mean like the Oscar-music cue "Stop talking, you're over your time slot?"

0 Kudos

Steffi Warnecke wrote:

Could you imagine the mass of people that would come to a "Birds of a feather"-session about the SCN points system with Julius as the host?!

I would cancel everything else to witness this.

Well actually back in the day we did some speed networking at Community Day around broad themes. There was an "ABAP" table but perhaps that is a bit too vague for this context.  On the other hand you yourself will be an "attraction" so I'm guessing people will be interested to meet you as well as share what they are doing with you.  Imagine!

Gnah. I don't want to be an "attraction" to be honest. Being the center of attention isn't my thing. Then again, the way you put it, the whole idea of that BOF Session seems to focus more on networking and collaboration itself rather than the functional topic involved. I guess I would give it a shot, though, just to try it out once and since the opportunity probably doesn't reoccur too soon. So, count me in (and let's hope I don't make a fool of myself). You just gotta tell me what needs to be done next, i.e. you'll need a topic from me etc. right?

0 Kudos

mmmm Steffi,  I think that would be a very short session

Julius - get rid of the points; they are a waste of time; knowledgeable people have left SCN in droves and don't want to participate; point chasers keep targeting low hanging fruit; and it's creating too much noise; reducing the quality of content; <any other points he's made since gamification came into SCN>>

<<<Moderator stare down>>>

Silence from the crowds and the rest of us spectators try not to chuckle

Julius - Good. Okay let's grab a beer

But yes, I would definately add that as a reason to attend!

Regards

Colleen

0 Kudos

Just to see and hear Julius rant in real life about the dreaded "ponits" system would be worth the entry fee for d-code.

0 Kudos

Lolz, Colleen. I nearly aspirated my chewing gum here

0 Kudos

I know a couple of SAPpers who met about 5 years ago at Teched in Las Vegas, discovered they are from the same city in Europe, and later got together and now have children together and live in the new house they built.

Unless there are other examples, could they be the first Teched wedding ?

Andy.

0 Kudos

Outted! Yep.  I so wish I had been there at Audrey's nuptials but she did share pics and even a video and yes, it is great that you "searched before you posted". It wasn't a test, but you definitely passed it.....

Re: BOF. I once had the distinct pleasure of hearing Julius at a moderators' meetup.  Having the real life experience made me really appreciate the man behind the rant

Joking aside, these face-to-face encounters are incredibly valuable and enriching. I always feel extremely privileged to meet the community live.

0 Kudos

I chocked on a pomegranate seed (lunch salad) (re Colleen and your gum)

Yes do think of a topic.

I'll need the day you are available, a very short title and a short "abstract", your name and your contact details (email and mobile) which you could send through DM or agree that I look at in your full profile. In this format....

BOF TitleBOF AbstractHost Name and Contact Details

0 Kudos

I'd prefer a DM. Can you either initiate the DM or follow me? Else I can't DM you.

EDIT: What exactly happens with the contact info data phone/email?

Message was edited by: Lukas Weigelt

0 Kudos

Re: contact info.

The organizers of the event can contact you to confirm your participation.

In the event that you don't show at the designated time there is a way to text or remind.

(I'm going on past experience here).

I do know that contact details are held very closely and not even employees have access so as to

1) not impose on privacy

2) restrict vendors selling stuff from soliciting

0 Kudos

That's exactly what I wanted to hear . DM will be on the way shortly.

Cheers, Lukas

0 Kudos

Colleen Lee wrote:

trying to schedule my wedding between go lives.

Inform him that he is allowed to marry you. Might work to get him paste the angst phase...

Plan B is tax advantages, but rather unromantic...

Just ask him to marry you. Don't be shy to propose to him...  😉

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I thought they were already past the proposing. *gg* This is the coffee corner for you: go from discussing a tech event to marriage proposal tips and tricks in just three pages. I love it!

0 Kudos

Thanks Julius

Plan A - there's already a nice shiny ring on my finger and I'm an IT chic - there is no angst (well from my point of view). Though I might have had him scared for a few years thinking I'd say no.

Plan B - don't judge...I tried that. Meh to being unromantic if it gets me to TechEd

Sadly, I was investigating plane tickets to Vegas and/or Berlin. Unfortunately, I have client workshops in October/November and I'm on the wrong side of the country for both events. It was going to take me 30+  hours each way to get to the event so I would have spent more time on the plane that at TechEd. I realise this would have meant I get to go to TechEd but I would be jet lagged and brain dead to survive workshops or enjoy TechEd.

Hence, next year!!! Eloping still sounds easier. I'm waiting on go live dates to pick wedding date. I proudly admit I'm a SAP nerd (good thing I'm marrying one)!

Regards

Colleen

0 Kudos

Are you going to visit Berlin for TechEd, Julius? The Legoman would be pleased to get the opportunity to meet the white rabbit in person.

Cheers, Lukas

P.S. The BiF Blogpost of your cat (Heidi, wasn't it?) is still due.

0 Kudos

Collen,

I'm a contractor as well, and I get cranky every spring that i miss out on a techEd

All I can do is suggest that you go - save money by leaving the family behind, because you won't have time to see them anyway :). I went to Las Vegas in 2009 - the year the aussies won demojam - and a combined Sapphire / techEd in Madrid in 2011. The people (many of them in this thread) you meet online are just as wonderful in person, and there is so much more to learn in person from them. Yes, many of the sessions are available online during and afterwards, but nothing beats talking directly with people in an informal setting - I think of it as being the dumbest person in the room and soaking up what I can.

PS The Las Vegas Bellagio also means you get Venetian gondolas, you're a couple of minutes walk away from the Eifel Tower etc - so it's a bargain

hth

0 Kudos

Yes... I do feel that I hijacked this post somewhat

0 Kudos

Still waiting for your topic Lukas 😉

And the day you want to have your birds flock together.....

Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?

Topic and quick abstract.

You can see some examples on the Vegas site here: http://sessioncatalog.sapevents.com/go/agendabuilder.sessions/?l=84&locale=en_US&AEID=&selectedFilte...=

0 Kudos

I also feel guilty now as I did also invoke the hijacking in the hope that I might be invited to Colleen's wedding.

I felt entitled to that because via SCN I have been invited to a surprisingly large amounts of weddings in India already, where the connection was that the brother of the bride invited me to his sister's wedding. If someone can explain this connection to me, then I would be very thankful.

I have never been to India before and it is way overdue. I am definatly in for planning a TechEd visit to Bangalore, particularly if the gurus Zloch, Warnecke, Billingham and Weigelt also join? I am sure Otto (Gold) will also join.

I follow Jim Spath on Facebook and he did such a tour at least once -  he also got married afterwards but whether there is a connection to his travels in India I cannot tell - the bride certainly looks very similar to the girl who is protecting him from the crocodiles in the Ganges.. 😉

Getting back to TechEd Berlin: In my security area I am very active in the SAP Education area and new features development anyway and the things that reach TechEd level are from content perspective not very interesting for me. SAP present them themselves.

In all honesty the Mentor fanfair was not my style either, and too user group focused without much technical security support. I can achieve more by reporting hacks which I dont want in existing infrastructure which my customers have real problems with, than HANA security which is a commend line tool without an API.

So I will most likely mot be in Berlin at the TechEd. However I has at the DSAG Technology Days in the past years and the DSAG Annual Conference this year (also presented a customer experience session on implementation of Unified Connectivity in EHP7 systems).

As long as the Data Protection Officers who have no clue about SAP at DSAG meetings can be avoided, it is more interesting (for me) than a TechEd.

Just being honest.

Cheers,

Julius

ps: This year TechEd Berkin definately collides for me. But if anyone is interested in going to India next year I am in for sure!