cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset capitalized in previous yr through Goods receipt but invoice received next year

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We capitalize our Assets with Goods Receipt (MIGO) and usually there is some time gap between Goods receipt and Invoice receipt .

So we are facing an issue when there is a flip of year between  Goods receipt and Invoice receipt

So for example Asset is capitalized in 2013 ( Dec ,2013) and invoice is received in Feb 2014 .

In such case if there is an adjustment ( extra charges like freight etc.)  , the catch-up of depreciation on additional amount is happening only from beginning of 2014 , it does not go back to 2013 to do the catch up ( even if the year 2013 is still open).

My question is :

1. Is it a standard behavior or is there a configuration which decides above behavior?

2. What can we do in this case ?

Thanks

Rch 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

raymond_moynihan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rch,

There are 2 issues here:

1) In relation to additions to the asset in the first year of depreciation, the system will calculate
depreciation from the depreciation start date.

For additions to the asset for subsequent years, depreciation start date
will be based on the period control.

2) The system is working as designed in terms of posting depreciation. The depreciation is posted in the current period via a repeat run.

You could possibly look at smoothing via Transaction code OAYR

When this indicator is set the recalculated amount is smoothed
over the remaining periods and not posted in a repeat run in the
current period.

You will not be able to post depreciation in the previous periods. ie  2013

hope this helps to clarify issue,

regards

Ray

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond ,

Ok I saw in my system we have period control 06 for addition (which says at the start of the year ) and that's what system is doing . But I don't see an option to select where system can go back and read actual capitalization date .

We have no problem with catch up what we are looking for is,  system to recalculate the depreciation from original date of capitalization and post in current year / period .

So in my example the requirement is to calculate Depreciation from Dec 2013+Jan 2014+Feb 2014 should post in Feb 2014 .

But right now system is calculating Jan2014+Feb 2014 and posting in Feb , how to include Dec2013 depreciation ?

Thanks

Rch

former_member198650
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Puthran,

Select validity start as from capitalization data in multi level method of the depreciation key in AFAMS. And also change the period control for additions as "01". Then system will calculate depreciation accordingly.

Regards,

Mukthar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

According to me the due to the fiscal year change, the thing that you require that Dec 2013 depreciation be posted in the system will not take place. The valuation date is the key date which is entered at the time of posting a document but standard SAP didn't allow the posting to be done wherein posting date and valuation date is in different fiscal year. So I think the option is to post an unplanned depreciation for the month of December for the differential amount like freight,etc.

Regards,

Malhar.

raymond_moynihan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rch,

As already stated:

For additions to the asset for subsequent years, depreciation start date

will be based on the period control

06 for addition (which says at the start of the year )

The system will not calculate for 2013/12- 

As outlined by Malhar, you can post unplanned depreciation as a workaround.

regards

Ray

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member351125
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please refer to this thread

Thanks!
Jhero