cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TREX 7.1 Index Backup Size

0 Kudos

Hi Community,

I am currently working on the hardware requirements for a TREX 7.1 system and need to calculate the approximate SAN storage required.

The customer wants to index >2 million documents, and according to SAP calculations, this would lead to about 3 TB of disk spacer required for the index.

My question is: does an online backup via the TREX python scripts require the same size again? Is there a formula to calculate the backup size for a given Index size?

Thanks in advance,

Jürgen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

frank_friedrich
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

the first question is what TREX Sizing Guide you have used?

If I assume you are using Embedded Search and want's to index the originals in DMS that regarding this sizing guide and the fact that you have 2.000.000 documents, this results in an disc space of 1,6 TB.

This calculation is based on some assumption:

- average file size is 400 kB

- all of these files are files with indexable content

But keep in mind the most customer also store images, scanned pdf, CAD docuuments which are not able to full index. That's why we can assume you have not 2.000.000 documents......

Regarding backup: the thumrule is that you need 50% of the index disc size.

Best regards

Frank

0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your answers!

@Frank:

The customer sent me the following numbers for calculation:

Total documents to index: 3.200.000

Size of document storage: 1700 GB

The documents are mostly DOC, PDF and ZIPs

I found two different formulas for sizing

First one was (Document size [1700GB] x 0.5 x 2) = Index Size [1700GB]

Index Size * 0,75 = Queue Size [1250GB]

Index Size + Queue Size = 2.975 TB

Second one, from the enterprise seach sizing guide:

2x10^-6 x (document size [1700GB] x avg. size of document [0.53MB] x 1000) = 3.4 TB

Does this sound realistic?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen

Could you refer the Sizing guide from SAP portal site

https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000682642007E/NWES72_Sizing_v10b.pdf

BR

SS

0 Kudos

Thanks for the link, this formula gives me 3.4 TB with 3.2 million documents and an average size of 530 kB.

So the number seems to be correct.

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

what's the application you use with TREX? I don't think the indexing of 2.000.000 documents leads into 3 TB disk space . However it could be dependent on the type of documents supposed to be indexed.
The backup of the index is usually need about of 40-50% disk space required for the index .

Best regards,
Mikhail

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I concur with @Mikhail I have 3,000,000 documents indexed for PLMUI for Goods Movement Item my total space for that ECC system's indexes is less than 1 Gig (this is without the use of any delta indexes).

My guess the reason for the small size in my case is due to majority of the indexes containing only text.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen

1.  For Online backup by using the Python scripts ( Exportmanager.ph to take backup & Restore the backup another system importmanager.py) you can refer the SAP Note

975965 - TREX 7.0/7.1: Data backup (online) and recovery

2. For Sizing you can refer the SAP Note 1762115 - TREX Sizing

Regards

Sriram