cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Variants and Returns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Team-

When I create an RMA (sales order type RE) for a configured material (VA01), I enter my options on the Characteristic Value Assignment screen, and click on the Variant Matching icon.  The system finds a matching material variant and displays it at the botton of the screen. 

However, the system does not allow me to select that material variant.  Instead, it returns to the Create Returns: Overview screen with the original configured material still showing as the item on the sales order line.   

When I create a Credit Memo Request (CR) for the same configured material, the system allows me to select the material variant without a problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this please?

Regards-

Caroline.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Caroline Bavister,

seems you need to check and correct item category settings for appending variant,

you can see all details of Material Variant matching and replacement in below link

Please check and rate it too.

Hope it will resolve your issue.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ritesh-

Thank you for replying.

The settings are the same for both the RE and the CR:

Config. Strategy           = 01

Mat. Variant Action      = 1

Structure scope           = D

Application                  = SD01

Variant Matching         = ticked

I see note 1987592 states:-

The RMA process does not support use of configurable material variants.  There is no solution due to a missing function

As the system finds a matching material variant and displays it at the botton of the screen on an RE order, I was hoping to find a missing link to enable the selection of the material variant.

If this function is indeed missing, we have the problem that we would like to return and re-sell configurable materials from stock.  This causes invoice release to accounting errors due to costing.  Therefore, I was hoping to be able to create material variants to enable the return and re-selling of configurable materials.    

Hope this makes sense.  Is there a work-around?

Regards-

Caroline.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Caroline Bavister,

Not sure for order type RE, but it works fine with OR.

I see the note you mentioned

I see note 1987592 states:-

The RMA process does not support use of configurable material variants.  There is no solution due to a missing function

Are you using a material variant with pricing reference? why dont you try it removing pricing reference from material master and check.

My guess is , as you are looking into a return/repair  process  system is not designed same as normal sales process.

I also never come across using configurable material or material variant for repairs, if possible please share some more details and processes and I may help finding a work around.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Are you using a material variant with pricing reference? why dont you try it removing pricing reference from material master and check."

What is meant by removing pricing reference please?  Where is this in the material master?

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

pricing reference material is maintained in the material master in the "Sales:  Sales Org. Data 2" view in the field for pricing reference materials. Usually, you enter the configurable material here if the material to be maintained is a storage type.

The conditions that apply to the pricing reference material also apply to the material in whose material master record the pricing reference material is stored.