cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best Windows 8.1 "flavor" for running PB 12.6?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the trial PB 12.6 running on a Windows 7Pro laptop with moderate capability.  The Classic IDE runs OK, but there are some performance issues showing up.  This laptop is probably best used for traveling demos of my apps.  I'm going to throw in the towel and go to Windows 8.1 on a new machine, but which variant of that is best?  Home Premium, Professional or something I don't even know about?  Any other advice, like memory or video considerations, is greatly appreciated.  Keep in mind I'm basically a tax accountant and will fall off the technical discussion table pretty quickly...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Professional.  There's too many missing features in Premium that you might end up needing as a developer.  On the other hand, it's pretty easy to upgrade from Premium to Professional, so you could start out with Premium and then only upgrade if you find you need to.

FWIW, I'd recommend getting a SSD (solid state) hard drive, at least for the boot drive.  Costs about twice as much, but the increased speed and decreased boot time is well worth it.

Other recommendation is to get a machine that can accept a lot of memory.  What I've started doing is putting stuff I want to demo on different virtual machines and then running those.  At that point, it doesn't matter quite so much what is on the laptop itself as far as operating system.  What does matter is that you've got a beefy processor and lots of memory.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your laptop is old or under powered, you could get a Surface Pro 3 which comes with 8.1. There are several options around memory amount and processor speed. It would be excellent to travel with.

Former Member
0 Kudos

or, stay with windows 7 pro but get a new laptop with an SSD and loads of memory.

8.1 still is a huge PITA to use

Former Member
0 Kudos

Windows 10 preview will be available to download tomorrow if you are interested.

Former Member
0 Kudos

where can we download it ?

ty

by

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably somewhere around here;  Windows Technical Preview is coming soon - Microsoft Windows

I can't imagine that you'd really want to use a preview version of a new operating system as the main OS for a business machine.  Put it on a virtual machine and play with it, but don't start building something that is mission critical for you on it.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

And if you have an msdn account you should see windows 10 as an option.

Andreas.