Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MMC Duplicate Entries

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Performed a system copy to a new windows 2008 machine. It did not have SAP installed. After I performed CI installation, I am seeing that MMC is showing 2 entries for each, CI and SCS. Please help how to remove one of those each. I tried deleting. But after closing and open MMC, I still see the duplicate entries. Please help at the earliest.

Thanks,

Kavitha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

I'm assuming you mean an ABAP system copy, yes? While previously ABAP installations of a central server would have just a single instance, the CI, now all new installations -- including those made by system copy -- will have two by default: the PAS (Primary Application Server) and ASCS. This is true even if the source system for the copy was not split up this way. SWPM (or 70SWPM) will create this split during the target system installation. So now your ABAP systems will look a lot like your Java systems in MMC.

Regards,

Matt

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

This is Sol Man dual stack. And I see 4 entries, 2 for CI and 2 for SCS. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, I'm not sure how the new system copy handles a dual-stack system, but I would expect at least three instances: ABAP PAS, Java PAS, and SCS. However, it's certainly possible there would be both a Java SCS and an ABAP SCS -- I'm not sure on this point (my SolMan systems are old enough that the new installation default didn't apply).

Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking at in the MMC?

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

SolMan is old 7.01 and used only old detach/Attach homogenous system copy using SAPINST. Attached is the screenshot.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, what I said earlier about SWPM and splitting instances doesn't apply in this case. The screenshot shows that something else is going on. Is this the MMC installed directly on the server console? Or are you running it remotely, i.e. from your workstation? What options do you have set (i.e. "Use fixed SAP instance list", "Query LDAP directory for SAP instances", or "Query System Landscape directory for SAP instances"; also "Always show local SAP instances" and "Always show all SAP instances of SAP systems")?

What version of SAPMMC do you have installed? The SAPMMC is fully backward-compatible, so there's no reason not to download the latest and greatest from the Service Marketplace and install it.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Matt,

I am accessing directly from the server where I installed SAP. I checked from MMC -->Help-->About MMC--> it is showing Management console 3.0. I did not set any option, it is default. Please let me know where to check the option that you mentioned.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

3.0 is the version of the Microsoft components for MMC, or Microsoft Management Console. In the same menu, check Help... About SAP Systems Manager. The latest is 7.42, which you can download from http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Support Packages and Patches -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Technology Components -> SAP MMC -> SAP MMC 7.42 -> Windows on x64 64bit.

To see the properties for your SAPMMC, under Console Root right-click on SAP Systems and choose Properties. You should see something like this:

For an MMC installed directly on the server, you will probably want to have Always show local SAP instances checked. The other options then may not matter much, but it's possible your MMC is picking up one set of instances from the local SAP instances option and the other set of instances from LDAP or SLD, or even a fixed list. You may need to tweak the options here to get the result you want. You can't really hurt anything by playing around with these options. It won't impact the installed system, only what you see in MMC.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh, also have a look at .

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Version is 7100.109.15.8983. This version I see in all SAP servers. From properties screenshot above, if I choose 1,2 and 4 options, I am seeing only 2 SAP instances. If I choose all 4 options listed in above screenshot, the duplicate entries appears. I cross checked in other SAP servers, I have all options checked there as well. Please dvise why it is appearing only in this server.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which option are you using in the top section of the properties? I mean between fixed instance list, LDAP directory, or System Landscape directory.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

I see it under General tab. LDAP and Directory, I am not able to open, looks disabled in all SAP servers.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, that means you're using Fixed Instance List. So, if you switch to the Fixed tab, do you see any entries there? If so, try removing them.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Matt,

Fixed tab is blank. Please advise.

Tahnks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, I got nothing as to why it's happening. I've seen it before, but not gotten to the root cause. I don't see it anymore on my servers, and maybe it is fixed with a SAPMMC update. However, there is a workaround. Turn OFF the checkbox for Always show local SAP instances, and then go to the Fixed tab and enter the details of your local SAP instance manually there. If you are expecting two total instances, be sure to enter them both, i.e. System = SM1 (in both cases), and then Instance = "SAPSOLMAN 00" and "SAPSOLMAN 01". Click Add for each one, then OK.

It might have something to do with the hostname showing up in upper-case for one set of instances, and then lower-case for the other. Perhaps you have some inconsistencies with the case of the hostname between DNS, your hosts file, and your system profiles? For Windows hosts, it's probably best to use all upper-case, across the board. Make sure the hostnames are consistent in those locations, and as shown in SM51.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Matt,

While installing I gave upper case SAPSOLMAN. In SM51 I am seeing lower case sapsolman. I checked all system profiles, only upper case. Not sure where it is picking the lower case. Pls advise.

Thanks,
Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) to see if you have your local hostname in there in lower-case. Other than a 'localhost' entry, you don't normally also need an entry for the server here, unless you are creating an alias for it. You could try removing it. Note this will at minimum require a restart of the SAP system, and maybe a reboot of the server.

However, you can probably just get past it by using the workaround I mentioned above.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Matt,

Removing host file entry resolved the issue. Thank you so much.

Thanks and regards,

Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad to hear it!

Answers (0)