Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating alias to resolve loop

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have a loop in my Universe involving 6 tables. In the integrity check, it says that the loop can only be resolved by an alias.

My question is - does is matter where I insert the alias table to break the loop? How does one decide which table join to break and insert the alias?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A good excample for Alias is if the same table plays different roles.

For instanse the customer dimension.

It could be both sold-to-party and send-to-party.

Or date. Orderdate, deliverydate.

The SQL will then treat the tables as different tables, and your loop will be solved.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Ingrid

former_member190895
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go to below link which shows an example demonstrating how to solved loop.

Understanding Loops and its Resolution Technique in Universe

In the post you can see alias is created for country table as country table can play different roles.So in the same way, you have to understand your tables and situation, And identify which table is playing different role and then you can decide to create a alias of the same table.

Let me know if any doubt.

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

so, the alias has to be created for the country table as shown in the example? Creating an alias for another table would also break the loop wouldn't it?

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Alias:

Alias is logical pointers to an alternate table name

Whenever a SQL script needs to access the same table more than once an alias is used.

Can you provide your screenshot of your loop related tables.

Note: PLEASE mark blog as helpful & answered

former_member200478
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pandey,

If you are in BO 4.0 env or above, then IDT will automatically detect the alias table.

Just click on the detect aliases and check.
Let us know if any concerns.

Regards,

-Tanav

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

Used automated loop detection to create the alias, however the alias tables created are empty. Not sure why.

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

I have attached the snapshot of the loop below. Could you please help identify where to insert the alias?