cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Default Printer

Former Member
0 Kudos

CR Version - 2013

When I click on 'Print this Report' icon on CR, the print pop up opens and it defaults to 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'

How can I change it to point to end users default printer?

I currently have a default printer set up on my machine but when I click CR Print it points to default 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'

I need to change this default setting so that it points to end users default printer set up on their own machine.

Vishal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the below helpful information for 'Printing Crystal Reports'

Ludek explain each and every point ..Thank you so much for sharing this data

Regards,

DJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you be more specific what I need to do to so that the print pop up picks end user default printer and not  'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

The best practise is to always configure the same printer on the development machine with that of the users.

If you uncheck the 'No Printer' option and configure the report to a default printer on your machine, the report should automatically pick up the default printer configured on the user's machine.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Report is being used globally and end users can have different printers as default on their machine.

I want it to work just like printing a word doc it uses machine default printer settings

Vishal

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are only two instances in which the report would print to 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer';

1) The report is designed to use a default printer and 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' is set as the default printer.

2) The report is designed with 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' being set as the specific printer.

Now, if you have a computer that has 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' set as default and you do not want to print to that, then you will have to create the report such that it is looking for a specific printer driver - say HP xxx. Only catch now is; that specific printer driver will have to be installed on the computer where the report will be run. Otherwise, on report load in the designer, you will get a message telling you that a default printer is being substituted. In your case, this would be 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'. The user would then have to select what ever printer they want to print.

To summarize: to have a none default printer show up in the print dialog needs a bit of thought on how best to design the report as well as how best to set up the environments where the report will be printed.

Oh. Perhaps one other way to think of this; if you print a MS Word document on these printers, are you able to somehow create the doc such that a non default printer shows up in the MS Word print dialog? I think not(?).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if I asked my question clearly.

What should I do in CR Designer so that when end user runs the report and click the print option in CR report it picks their local printer and not 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'. They can obviously change it but they want to reduce one more click.

Currently in CR designer I tried - File->Print Setup - No Printer and tried saving as something else then 'Microsoft XPS' still doesnt work.

Visha

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You asked correctly. Re-read my answer. The truth is out there...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, I am not sure if I am reading your reply correctly. None if the 2 points you mentioned are applicable.

Currently in CR designer I tried - File->Print Setup - No Printer and tried saving as something else then 'Microsoft XPS' still doesnt work

Can you tell if this is possible or not? If yes steps to fix it?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it possible in any application? Can you do this in a word doc? In an XLS spread sheet? What I am trying to say is that no apps that I am aware of can do this.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes when you open your word doc it will take your default printer.

So all end users when open word/ excel etc it takes their local default printer.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right. And note what you wrote in your 1st post:

I currently have a default printer set up on my machine but when I click CR Print it points to default 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'

So, CR prints to the default printer.

Now note what you just wrote:

Yes when you open your word doc it will take your default printer.

So, what is the difference?

- Ludek

Answers (0)