cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports crashes Visual Studio 2010 after minor change to sub-report

0 Kudos

I have been having a problem when using the Crystal Reports designer that if I repeatedly make small changes and then switch to the report preview, eventually Crystal Reports will crash Visual Studio 2010, usually when I am trying to save my work.  I have just installed Support Pack 11 to see if this fixes the problem, and I can now crash Visual Studio immediately after making a small change (I removed a border) from one field and then tried to save the report.  The crash is repeatable as it now happens each time I make the same small change and then try and save the report.

Additional info, I am working on a sub-report in a report that has several different sub-reports.  The report and sub-reports gets their data directly from the database and each query joins multiple tables.  The crashes usually happen on saves, but have also happened while making small formatting changes and then switching back and forth to the report viewer tab to see their effect.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?  Or how I could gather some more information for some one to review? Or even some way of working around the problem as the report can be saved before changes but not after making a small change to the sub-report..

Thanks, Neil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

I have just downloaded and installed SP 12 - replacing SP11.  Everything now works fine including the report that was giving problems before.  SP11 definitely was regressed, SP12 seems to put things back on track again.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had this issue once, and I had to remove any XML files from the C:\Temp directory, and it fixed it up

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neil

If you can duplicate the issue with a saved data report and share the report, I can try to duplicate the issue.

Using the eval of CR 2013 will get you out of the .NET IDE - not sure if you're open to that idea(?). Eval of CR 2013 is here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

Couple of shots in the dark; if you are using MS SQL see the following:

For OLE DB use:

MS SQL 2005 - OLE DB Provider
MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10
MS SQL 2012 - SQL Native 11
MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

For ODBC use:

MS SQL 2005 - SQL Native
MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10
MS SQL 2012 - SQL Native 11
MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

Make sure the %TEMP% directory has read / write permissions.

Default printer driver is installed - and not some driver pretending to be a printer driver (PDF), or MS XPS, etc....

Other than that, reinstalling VS and then CRVS SP 11 is the only idea that comes to mind at this time.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

0 Kudos

Hi Ludek, thanks for the reply.  I am trying out the suggestion from you and Don about downloading CR2013 and seeing if that finds any problems.  The report is an old one and has been working fine.  We had made some database changes, and the client also wanted some additional information on the report and that is when we noticed the occasional crash when flipping between form and trial view.  After a period of time and multiple changes, we could be guaranteed to crash.  Upgrading to the newest release guarantees that we now only have to change one small thing, save it and get a crash.

I would prefer not to re-install VS and CRVS SP - I can't bill for these kinds of problems.  Also, I find it difficult to understand how a patch release moves you from occasional crashes to guaranteed crashes.  I will try out your suggestion on the CR 2013 trial packag and see if that fixes the problem - I hope that it writes files that are still useable to 2010?

Neil

0 Kudos

Turns out 2013 won't install on Vista Ultimate - back to the drawing board.

Neil

0 Kudos

Make sure you are logged in as a local PC administrator and right click on the setup.exe and choose Run As Administrator.

Vista introduced DEP and CR had issues with it until MS added API's to get around Data Execution Prevention.

Don

0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

Download a Trial version of the full CR Designer and see if that allows you to save the report.

It could be some part of the file is corrupted now and may take the full version to fix it or you may have to rebuild it completely.

Before making any changes try doing a Verify Database. This should force CR to resolve any reference issues it may have.

Also remove any DB tables not used so it lowers the resources required to use the report.

Don

0 Kudos

Hi Don, thanks for the reply.  I am trying the download free 1-month trial to see if the stand-alone designer can recognize any problems.  I believe I have synched the form to the database several times and that it saved correctly (with intermittent crashes) prior to the upgrade.  After the upgrade, it would save, provided I made no changes to the form.  Changing a border on 1 field was enough to crash it during a save.  I will let you know if the CR 2013 version finds any corruption problems.  One other thing to note, this is an old report that was written using either 2003 or 2005 and has been upgraded over time to 2005, 2008 and 2010.  I recently pulled it off the shelf and was applying changes when this problem popped up.

Just waiting for the download to complete, I will lete you know.

Neil