Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A datawindow grid question

former_member203861
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all ,

I have a grid data window populate with rows .

After the user did some sorting , filtering , changed the columns ( I let him choose which columns to be displayed ) , I want to print it ( but not to do a retrieve again , or RowsCopy() after all the choices he made ) , but now I want to add a text label on the top ( the header band ) .

I am using  dw.modify()  ( I have copied the exact syntax from the srd file of the object ) , but the text does not appear as I want it to be .

Is There any other way to accomplish that ?

Thanks ,

Moshe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moshe;

How about using another instance of your grid DWO that includes the proper printing format located within a DataStore. Then just perform a ShareData () between the DW Control and the DS and print from the DS to get the correct print format.

Food for thought.

Regards ... Chris

former_member203861
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chris ,

Thanks for response but...

First , changing columns will force me to do modify the other instance as well ( so the ShareData()

will work ) , and as you well know , if you put a text in a grid , it locates itself the same position as

the column beneath it , if user take off the column it will remove automatically the text too .

Second , I want to let the user to save the object as a report format to future retrieve ( after columns changes ) , so , I need to save the instance too .

More , I have a lot of those , so it really getting great deal to maintain ...

I did once a composite report with a Dummy nested dwo , and changed the the Dummy with real one

by the user , but it demands Create() + Retrieve() and I wanted to avoid that

( Retrieve is heavy )

If you have any idea I will be happy to ear from you ,

Thanks

Moshe

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK.. it was just a thought.

Suggestion#2 =>  How about using the same grid DWO but having the Label Text already present but invisible. Then, create a computed column in the DWO that indicates whether or not its in "print" mode. An expression on each label makes them visible when the "print" CC is "yes"?

former_member203861
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chris ,

Finally , what I did is , putting what ever I needed on the main header band , create a group

by some computed field ( its always 1 or 0 ) just for putting columns headers to the group band , closed the main header band  to height = 0 at first ,

before printing  modifying its height as needed and close it back .

any how Its good for now

Thanks ,

Moshe

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create the text label, but make sure its properties are set to foreground.

Export a grid style DW where you've manually added a text box with its properties set to foreground to get the exact syntax for your modify() command.  And off course there is always the dwsyntax tool to help with the modify() commands as well.