cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Semaphore timeout period has expired[Microsoft] [SQL Server Native Client 10.0] Communication Link Failure Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Here is the scenario:

Loading data from DB2 source to SQL Server 2008 R2 through data services. Job failed to load the target with the below error message.

---- Error Message from Log File ----

error message for operation <SQLExecute>: <[Microsoft][SQL Server Native

Client 10.0]TCP Provider: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Communication link failure>.

Job server and DB server both are on Windows only.

Not able to find any related information for this semaphore error. I am not sure whether it is a Network related error, or OS related or any other autorizations, or from Data Base side.

able to ping from DB server to Job server and vice versa, all ports are open and job use to run successfully prior to this run, its a weeekly load, Last load failed on 28th Sep, 2014.

Regards,

Raj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member714327
Discoverer

I came here with similar issue connecting to SAP HANA, and resolved by restarting my VPN (cisco connection).

siva123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hhi Raj,

I have the same problem in my Production sytem now. can you please tell me if you have already found the cause?

thanks,

ASk

0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

After Seeing your error i think it might be a problem with opearting system only. Because  Semaphore is a variable which is used for the resource sharing when multiple process are running on the opearating system. I think their might be any deadlock kind of situation that is the reason for this error..

To resolve this: can you please try by killing all the applications running on the operating system and also all kill the queries which are running on the database.. please let me know if i am wrong and if you got any solution on this error

Thanks,

R.Sumanth.