cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy formatting in columns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am trying to organize my row headings' in three hierarchy levels (as shown in attachment).

Any ideas if possible?

Thank you all

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ignacio,

Please describe the dimensions you want to use in row axis!

Continent, Country, City - what is this?

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

They all belong to the same dimendion (place) in row axis. I dont know how to show this three levels of the hierarchy in columns

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can create local member's with condition to show member description only on some level.

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, i can exclude the members based on their level. but I do not know how to make appear 3 columns in the row axis from the same dimension. Any idea?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not exclude, local member:

Sample for level 5:

=IF(EPMMemberProperty(, EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(YourDIMName)),"HLEVEL")="5",EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(YourDIMName))),"")

Same for other required levels!

Vadim

Message was edited by: Vadim Kalinin - property name corrected to HLEVEL!

Former Member
0 Kudos

The EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMDER formula doesn't work.. when evaluating formula it returns #NAME?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please, read in help about local members creation!

This formula have to be inserted in the Edit Report -> Local Members

With replace of YourDIMName by your row axis dimension name.

Attach the first local meber to column axis (before), second and third attach to first and second local members respectively.

Vadim

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ups, sorry!

It will show only one member in the row...

Vadim

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Local member formula for Continent local member (parent of parent of current City):

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(;"[YourDIMName].[PARENTH1].["&EPMMemberProperty(;EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(YourDIMName)));"PARENTH1")&"]";"PARENTH1"))

Local member formula for Country local member (parent of City):

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(;EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(YourDIMName));"PARENTH1"))

Local member for City local member - just description:

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(YourDIMName)))

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

doesn't work for me.

Let me give you more info:

I've done a dimension override for the PLACE dimension for a specific property.

This property is only informed for the City members, so I only see the City members.

How can I see the fathers of each City (country, continent) in different columns?

Sorry for not giving all the info before.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I try:  EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(;E12;"PARENTH1"))

And:     EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(;(EPMMemberProperty(;E12;"PARENTH1"));"PARENTH1"))

It Works perfectly, just that I need it as a local member.

Your code should just work the same as mine. To where should I connect the local member?

Note: E12 is the first City member returned.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please, read!!! help about local members creation!!!!

You have to press Edit Report, select Local Members tab and create a new local member.

Attach the first local member to column axis (before), second and third attach to first and second local members respectively.

If your dimension is PLACE ("," has to be used in local member formulas independent of regional settings!):

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,"[PLACE].[PARENTH1].["&EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE))),"PARENTH1")&"]","PARENTH1"))

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE)),"PARENTH1"))

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE)))

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your time Vadim, the basic problem was that I didn't know that comas should be used in local member formulas independantly of regional settings.

Just in case someone uses this formulas, the first one has an extra ")".

One last question about the format, is there a way to group all the countries/continents that are the same? In other words, now I have "Europe" repeated in 10 consecutive lines, is there a way to merge them in 1 unique "Europe".

Thanks a lot,

J.I.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The reason is simple: the formula of the local member after some processing is simply assigned like in VBA:

Range("B9").Formula = "=someformula"

For VBA it's required to use US formula format with comma as argument separator!

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

ups, I edited my last post while you were answering me..

One last question about the format, is there a way to group all the countries/continents that are the same? In other words, now I have "Europe" repeated in 10 consecutive lines, is there a way to merge them in 1 unique "Europe"?

Thanks a lot,

J.I.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Theoretically possible but with very complex formula:

You can compare the result in current line with the cell in the previous line and if equal - show nothing: "", if not show result.

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, so the only way is via macro then?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Something like this (for Country):

You create 2 local members:

First (to show Full List - this column will be hidden later):

=EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE)),"PARENTH1"))

Let's assume it will be in column B starting with row 8

Second:

=IF(EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE)),"PARENTH1"))=B7,"",EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE)),"PARENTH1")))

It will be in column C. Look on B7 comparison in the formula.

Result in column C - only unique names will be shown.

Vadim

P.S. - No macro! Just complex formulas and 2 additional hidden columns!

Message was edited by: Vadim Kalinin - P.S. added

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Result (Column B - hidden):

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vadim,

I think that the code only Works for the first 2 countries. It returns "" and then compares the next country to "" so doesn't change.

I attach the result:

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As you can see on the screenshot it works fine You need one extra hidden column for Country - it will be filled in each row. In the visible column you will compare with this hidden column!

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Correct, my fault!

do you know if this type of code speeds down a lot the refresh?

Thanks for your time!

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But why? Local members insertion is not a hard job...

B.R. Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK! I didn't know if it was too heavy for the document That was so helpful!

Thanks a lot Vadim

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For sure if you have thousands of rows... can be some delay!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

Now Im trying to include a subtotal row after every country, but cannot use it as normally with the member sorter because the local member returns error in the subtotal row.

Any suggestion?

J.I.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You receive #NoData in country column and subtotal row?

You can test the row axis cell for empty and in this case put "Total" in the country column! Just include extra condition in member formula:

=IF(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(PLACE)="","Total",(then existing formula))

Vadim

If answer is helpful - mark it helpful

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Like here:

Former Member
0 Kudos

But the cell is not empty, it appears the local member function: =EPMLocalMember("FRANCE";"008";"000")

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When I create subtotals using Grouping by property (HLEVEL) i can select any text to name this special local member. If I name it "Test" I can compare to "Test"

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ups, some correction:

Sorting & Grouping (by PARENTH1):

And test for "Test":

=IF(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(INACCT)="Test","Total",IF(EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(INACCT)),"PARENTH1"))=B7,"",EPMMemberDesc(EPMMemberProperty(,EPMMemberID(EPMDIM_CURRENT_MEMBER(INACCT)),"PARENTH1"))))

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it posible to sort & group by a property of a parent? In other words, I have the property order which is only informed in the hierarchy "COUNTRY" (father of City). How can I do this sorting?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

And if i dont sort, and only group using a local member? Would it be possible?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What's the difference? Member sorting and grouping is allowed only by some property of the current member. PARENTH1 is the current member property - you can use it...

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I only need the subtotal after every different "Country", not to be sorted because there's an override which brings the rows in a specific order.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not clear... Please open a new discussion and provide a screenshot with the desired report format (not comfortable to answer here!)

Vadim

Answers (0)