cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustering Explorer Master Servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a clustering BOBJ environment (4.1 SP4) and I have installed explorer on both servers.

When I start explorer services, only one explorer master server is started, the other is stopped.

The error message says:

Stopping this Explorer Master server because Explorer Master servers cannot cluster together. It may be due to either IPv6 or 'master.cluster.name' Explorer application property variable not set or ports from 5701 to 57xx are blocked (where 'xx' is the number of Explorer Master servers and '5701' is the default value of 'master.cluster.multicast.port' property) or the network does not support multicast.

Could anyone tell me where to setup master.cluster.name ?

I have tried to setup this variable in default.settings.properties file under webapps\explorer\WEB-INF\classes folder, adding master.cluster.name=<clustername>, but not work.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Ryan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member18062
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Please also be aware of the following SAP note:2078091

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2078091

Its possible that you are experiencing this defect which is being corrected.

Regards,

Brian

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you, Brian, for this KB .  I concur that the ExplorerMasterServer has been up and down and, sometimes, it stuck in the Stating mode on my BI4.1 SP03 server.

Hope you can keep us posted on when this ExplorerMasterServer issue would be fixed.

Regards,

Jin-Chong

0 Kudos

Hi,

if you need more information you could raise an incident with the SAP Support referencing to the Note. You could ask whats the current ETA for the fix.

Regards

-Seb.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jin,

We have seen this issue in 4.1 SP5 also. SAP support confirmed that it is a known issue. it is resolved in SP5 patch1 and above

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Got it.  Thank you so much, Jawahar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any ideas, guys?

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amit,

Will have a look at it.

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your advice.

I have setup the parameters according to the Note 1906591

master.cluster.name=<cluster_name>

master.cluster.multicast.enabled=true

master.cluster.multicast.group=224.0.0.1

master.cluster.multicast.port=54327

However, I am still seeing the same error message.

I am wondering in terms of enabling multicast, what exactly configuration should I do?

- install IP multicast protocal?

- enable router multicast?

- enable LB multicast?

anything else that I need to configure?

Please advice.

Regards,

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same problem here.

Have done everything like said in SAP Note above, still same error.

Can anyone help !

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if multicast is enabled and allowed in your network (your network sys admin can confirm this, plus you run a network trace to see if it works using wireshark) , then the only other option - open Incident with SAP support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Below is the reply from our network admin, so does this note means clustering of explorer master servers can work with tcp/ip in simple network environments like ours ?

Multicast is not enabled, but the below is from the link/sap note you provided:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1906591

By default, the hazelcast library is configured to communicate via TCP/IP. The following configuration parameter will enable the clustering between Explorer Master servers in a BI Cluster: master.cluster.name=PROD (Where PROD is any string which uniquely identifies this environment)

In complex network environments, it may be required to enable multicast communication

So by default it should be using tcp/ip and not multicast. Multicast can be used in complex environment which a two system cluster which we have here is not. I advice doing this with the above mentioned default connection. Anything else will unnecessarily complicate things tremendously.

Former Member
0 Kudos

BTW, I have disabled IPv6, ports 5701 to 570x is not blocked by the firewall rules, multicast is enabled.