Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celsius Degree Symbol (° C) displayed as '#' in SDS for Thai language

surajarafath
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All,

This seems simple and well discussed issue but i would like you all to throw some help on this.

Problem:

SDS report shows 20 ° C as 20 #C.

- Data is from phrases and some from class & characteristics values of the specification.

- In phrases, initial field showing correctly but the long text preview showing with #.

So, i suppose the problem is likely with language itself not with SDS template/layout. I searched/read all existing similar issues which mostly advise as install language pack in the system.

I then checked language and found thai language is not installed. But we do have other languages such as Indonesia, china, etc. These languages were also not installed in the system but there is no problem displaying  ° C for the same phrase. How could it be ? Is really language pack installation is a solution ? Please help....................

Thanks in advance.

b.rgds,

playsuji

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

surajarafath
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am closing this thread by posting the solution of this issue after seeking help from SAP.

Issue is due to SAP system is unicode which is communicating to the WWI non-unicode system.

Therefore, relevant settings has to be made at WWI server and at SAP RFC's to indicate Unicode. Refer this note 733416 for more info.

I am also posting the reply of SAP...

Message from SAP.............

the problem is due to the fact that you try to run the WWI server in ASCII mode with a unicode SAP system.

Please run the WWI server in unicode mode, because SAP system is also unicode. Note 733416 informs you about the settings that must be made to configure WWI server.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

surajarafath
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your inputs. Sorry that i posted solution very late although we got this solution long back.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear PLaysuji

I am surprised about the solution and I have doubts. You have described that problem come up ion thai only. Now if really the RFC connection and WWI setup was wrong I would really assume taht e.g. russian, chinese, japanese and other asia languages give rise to the same issue. I would really doa double check here. Critical is anything "outside" of ASCII (which is nearly anything)

C.B:

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear PLaysuji

check e.g.

After rereading your thread: do you use a "phrase" or a "value" ??? If you use a phhrase check phrase translation; sometimes the phrase is not maintained proeprly and thiseffect might happen; if you use "values" like in the thread mentioned here. it is realted to "mispatch" in UOM definition in SAP.

C.B.

surajarafath
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello christoph,

Yes it is maintained as Phrase text not as value. Therefore it may not related to mismatch of UOM definition in SAP.

Can i know how do we check phrase transalation??

In CG13,

But when it displayed as text view then its showing as "#'.

Please help. Also note, thai language pack has been already installed still no help in this issue.

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Playsuji,

try exporting the phrase into Excel and copy&paste the test inro Word. If you see some "strange" characters in Word, delete them, bring the text back into Excel and import again.

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Playsuji

a.) try to find similar phrase in your system.- Check if the behaviour is the same; if so you can assume that there is an issue with language Thai in your SAp system

b.) check your quality system; is the status the, same?  If so try to mark the text; paste it to the "Client" clipboard (on similar level as Ralph has explained it); delete the phrase and reinsert he text for same language and do a recheck

Do you know how the phrase has been prepared? by user action or by using import ?

C.B.

PS:your effects might come in if you have migrated SAP system form Non unicode to Unicode; please do an OSS check; Check e.g. ; you will find reference to the so calle doptions of the "different" editors which are part of SAP. May be there is a set up error in yoru systm

surajarafath
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ralph & Christoph,

Thank you for your inputs.

I tried export to excel and then into words and all combinations the phrase seems to be okay (i.e. °C symbol appeared correctly and perfect).

a) There are similar phrases in thai and other languages as well. In fact this same phrase maintained in different language too but other language doesn't seems to have this problem. Yes - Obviously i believe the issue is with thai language but don't how to find/crack it.

b) The issue is with all the system (dev,quality,prod). I have already tried to re-insert, modify  the phrases but still '#' symbol replaces it in text view mode.

We uploaded the phrases through a program by using text file. Even i created manually a phrase still the same.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Playsuji

i checked a little bit. In line editor phrases are ok but in graphcial editor not. But WWI print out is fine (on our side)

So I would propose to start OSS dialog. I would be interested to get feedback: I was not aware of the fact the "line editor" and "graphical editor" act different. Make sure that SAP GUI set up is the right one (there are on top a lot of potential pitfalls).

It is known that SAP EHS does have "issues" with thai and other languages (mainly in WWI; but seems to be that some general SAP set up need to be considered as well); In any case:  I wasn't aware of the fact that some issues are "deeper" in SAP:

Please read cross this nice document:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/405a83e3-0132-2a10-d3ad-a94a604a0...

for SAP GUI

C.B.

PS: can you generate e.g. a new phrase using the same (or similar text) only with "Thai" and enter the text either manually or by using import ? (preferred: manually)?

MAy be just use a phrase like 25°C so that you can check iof the °°" is display correct in graphical editor and on WWI document

Make sure that any tool you use (as interim) is "Unicode eneabled" (matter of codepage handling; very very tricky; pay attention here !);  by the way: you use an "Unicode" enabled system? which type of Unicode ? 16 Bit? Wich subtype? Is "thai" a new language which you are using or an "old" language? what was your sequence?just import thai and afterwards activate the "language pack"  oor the other way around?

PPS: I found some similar thread:

May be Automatic selection of GUI frontend code page could be of interest too.

SAPTechnical.COM - Using MS Word as Editor in SAP Script and Smart Forms

could be of interest to. You can "change" the editor if needed.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear PLaysduji

according to my experience with this type of issue:

.- check your WWI version

- check Winword version

- Check some OSS note

- check "font" topic (wwi.ini)

- check the "translations" of UOM (please refer to OSS notes mentioned by Camila)

Year ago a similar thread has been discussed here; E.g.

C.B.

PS: might be of interest too

former_member198518
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Playsuji,

You may check SAP Notes 15430 and 39325, this notes should help you with the issue:

15430 - Translating units of measure

39325 - Error in translation of units of measurement

Best Regards,

Camila Zilles

surajarafath
Contributor
0 Kudos

hello camila,

Thanks for your suggestion. I do checked these notes but doesn't seems helping my problem.

For my case, there is no unit of measurement although it is °C. We are maintaining it in the phrases for example  " ถึง +35 °C ", so technically it can't be identified as unit of measure but rather as special character in the text.

Please help if you have any idea on this...

Thanks in advance