cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which MDM table types I shold use to create a directory with a hierarchical structure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, MDM experts!

I need an advice. There is a directory with the following structure:

Functional group
Functional Subgroup
Program
Subprogram
01, FGR1

1, FSGR1

001, PR1

100, SPR1
103, SPR2
002, PR2-
003, PR3-
2, FSGR2
001, PR4

100, SPR3
103, SPR4
104, SPR5
002, PR5-
003, PR6-
02, FGR2
etc...

Each program and subprogram can have attributes and their values.

Initially, I started with creating two tables - Taxonomy and Main.

I have entered directory's codes according to hierarchy shown in table above into the Taxonomy table. I have created the required attributes and their possible values ​​for each program and subprogram.

Then I've entered names of all functional groups, subgroups, programs and subprogrammes (and additional information, such as start date, expiration date, timestamp) into the Main table.

After all I have tried to choose necessary lookup value from my Taxonomy table, but found that I can choose only leaf-node value (Programs and Subprograms codes).

And also I found that attributes and their values were inherited from Programs to Subprograms. That's incorrect in my case - some Programs should have greater attributes, than Subrograms.

From the above I come to conclusion that I shouldn't  use Taxonomy. Please, tell me, how can I create a directory in the MDM with a hierarchical structure? Only via programming code?

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

shanthi_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alina,

You can possibly create a Qualified look up table, which accommodates the use of Look up Hierarchy, then you can make the other related attributes as Qualifiers in the table.

Will this work for you?

Regards,

Thamizh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alina,

As you rightly pointed out one way can be to handle this complexity in code itself.

Possible a dummy table (Portal relevant) table in MDM can hold this configuration and tell portal what fields to show for various levels based on Level selected from above Hierarchy.

Thanks,

Ravi