cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has compression to be carried out compusorily before partitioning an Infocube

0 Kudos

Hello guys,

I have been checking the partitioning topic in BW recently. I also checked the discussions on it.

However, I am still not having a clear cut idea on whether compression has to be carried out before partitioning an infocube.

Although there have been few discussions as I saw, the views differed from person to person. Some said it's needed and some said it's not.

As far as my knowledge, the partitioning happens on E fact table. Now, if it really happens so, then the cube must be compressed before partitioning.

Please throw some light on the topic.

Regards,

Uday

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uday,

Compression is mandatory to do partitioning, because partition can be done on only E fact table of the infocube. You can check same in SE14 storage parameters. If you are doing partition with FISC PER then FISC VARIANT should be constant.

Regards,

PRK.

0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Thank you for your response. I assumed the scenario to be this because of the involvement of the E fact table.

However, I also wanted to know whether an E fact table exists by default whenever an Infocube is created or comes to picture only when the cube is compressed.

Kindly help me with this.

Thanks,

Uday.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Uday,

When you create cube in bw it creates two Fact Tables i.e F&E. When you load the data from source to target (cube)  first it will loaded to  F factable, and after compression of the request, data will moves from F to E. You can also check the same in SE11 OR SE16 before and after compression.

F Table - /BIC/F(Infocube Name)

E table - /BIC/E(Infocube Name)

Regards,

PRK

0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Appreciate your response on the queries.

Thanks a lot for your help.

The questions that I had have been answered.

Regards,

Uday

Answers (0)