Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code -2147190908 when exporting to a PDF document with barcode fonts

tschuler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a problem in a VB6 program when exporting a report to a PDF file.

The program uses the craxddrt.dll version 11.0.0.2220.

It exports the report like this:

crReport.ExportOptions.FormatType = crEFTPortableDocFormat

crReport.ExportOptions.DestinationType = crEDTDiskFile

crReport.ExportOptions.PDFExportAllPages = True

crReport.ExportOptions.DiskFileName = App.Path & "\" & strVon & ".pdf"

crReport.Export False

The Export function returns the error code -2147190908.

The report contains the barcode font IDAutomationHC39M and I think this causes the problem. Because when I remove the barcode field from the report the export works fine.

I did a little research but there are many reasons that cause the error code. The best hit is the following thread but it contains no satisfying answer.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1397038.

Does anyone know if there are problems with fonts when exporting to a PDF file?
And if so, is there a solution?

Thanks and best regards

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tschuler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Now I am a bit confused. I have just looked at the servers that execute the VB program. But I can't find the version of the craxddrt.dll 11.0.0.0.2220 anymore. Maybe I have seen it incorrectly.

There are 2 different versions of the dll on that servers:

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

Couple of things to clean up before we get down to the real work (if need be).

The app should not be using craxddrt.dll - unless you have obtained the extra licensing that dll requires. Normally, these apps use the craxdrt.dll which does not require any licensing. (Just for completeness - crxddrt.dll would normally be used if the app uses report creation APIs, or what they used to call embeddable designer).

So, look for crxdrt.dll on that computer.

Now, 11.0.x is very, very old and will not work on any modern Operating Systems (e.g.; WIn 7 +). I am also not sure if it worls with IDAutomationHC39M font (e.g.; does the report work in the CR 11.0 designer installed on the same computer as the app?). depending on if you have the source code and VB, I'd recommend updating the app to CR 11.5.x (Also known as XI R2). Then redeploy the app with the 11.5 runtime.

One last note for now. Both CR 11.0 and CR 11.5 are out of support. CR 11.0 for many years, CR 11.5 for 2 + years. And unfortunately, CR 11.5 was the last version of CR to include the crxdrt.dll (We called that the Report Designer Component (RDC). E.g.; nomore updates, no more fixes. Oh. See this blog on how to update to CR XI R2.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

tschuler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek.

thank you for your reply and sorry for my late response. I am also sorry to bother you with those kind of old software.

But nevertheless your detailed information (and the related links) are very helpful to me, but unfortunately not with the desired success.

I have tried the export with the 11.5 runtime - without success. The export of the barcode font doesn't work. Maybe we need to think about a new .NET version of our software.

Best regards

Thomas

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

If you are still getting the same error, we can do a few more steps to troubleshoot this. My concern is that what ever is stopping the export in the VB app, will also be stopping a .NET app...

I'd like you to download an eval of CR 2013 from here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

Does the report export there?

If not, asking on the site where you got  IDAutomationHC39M font will be worthwhile.

If it does export fine from the designer, then running a utility like Process Monitor on the app and having a look at the logs will be a good idea (look for Access Denied errors on files and registry folders).

- Ludek

tschuler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

meanwhile, we have found a solution. I got the idea to check the barcode font for any problems (e.g. licensing).To my surprise I found two installed fonts of IDAutomationHC39M. One is a TrueType Font ('.ttf) and the other one is a OpenType Font (.otf). I found out that the export of the TrueType is working and the OpenType doesn't work. So we have deleted the OpenType font and now it's ok.

Nevertheless, I want to try your suggestion. I will try the exports with CR 2013 and boths fonts.

I will post the results here.

Thomas

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahhh. The framework and fonts.

When using Font, InstalledFontCollection, FontDialog and SystemFonts, the following font formats are not supported by the framework:

OpenType

Adobe

Device-specific/printer fonts (e.g; MICR)

Bitmap fonts

Apparently GDI+ only supports minimal TrueType fonts. As far as I know, there is no work-around...

Hope this helps,

- Ludek

Answers (0)