cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors during BI 4.1 SP4 update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone ran into any issues while installing BI 4.1 SP04? Specifically the step Updating repository and Updating servers, where a temporary CMS is created in the background.

Even after disabling the AV and IPv6, I keep getting the following messages in the installation log file:

Logging into XXXXX:6400 as user Administrator with secEnterprise authentication...

Sleeping for 5 second(s)...

Logging into XXXXX:6400 as user Administrator with secEnterprise authentication...

Sleeping for 5 second(s)...

and finally...

Stopping CMS...

Logging into XXXXXX:6400 as user Administrator with secEnterprise authentication...

ERROR: Could not reach CMS 'XXXXXX:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)

This causes a significant delay (it will try to connect for about 15 minutes for each of these steps) and at the end, the installation process will simply state that an error occurred. All that's left is to perform a repair, but above issue remains, basically leaving the BusinessObjects environment in an unusable state.

Whereas the log file indicates that it's unable to connect to port 6400, a quick telnet to this port shows that there is a process listening and that a connection can be established. This is also confirmed by looking at the process information, which shows that it is listening on port 6400 (as you can see in the attached screenshot).

Additional information:

• Local firewall, DEP and UAC were already disabled.
  • I've had this issue on a Windows Server 2012 and 2008 R2, both in a clustered and non-clustered environment.
  • An incident has been raised with SAP Support for this issue. If I receive any valuable input, I'll update this thread.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

After a long period of trial and error, I found what was causing the issue. We have hostname binding set up on all BusinessObjects servers, causing them to listen only to one IP address and thus preventing issues like time-outs:

However, during the installation, a temporary CMS is created to update the repository. From what I gather, this temporary CMS uses the same configuration as the existing CMS, thus also applying the hostname binding.

After disabling the hostname binding on the CMS, by changing the Host Identifiers from Hostname to Auto assign (see screenshot below), the installation now ran without issue.

Hope this helps others facing installation issues. Good luck!

Kind regards,

Kristof

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kristof,

Even we faced similar issue. Your solution worked well.

Thanks a lot.

regards,

Syed Basheer

asen_kostadinov
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Kristof,

We had similar issues in our first attempt to upgrade from BI 4.0 SP2 to BI 4.1 SP4.

You could check if the following files sqlrule.llr and sqlrule.dfa exist in <BI_install_folder>\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64

The issue is described in OSS note 2054800

Do not get confused by the description of the note. Just check the files if they are there and if not, copy them from working environment.

There is also an OSS note for FWM 20030. Maybe worth checking it as well. 1924430

Regards,

Asen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Asen,

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked both SAP Notes you references but both files that are referenced in the first node are present, and clustername resolving isn't applicable in this case as I'm entering the server's hostname during the installation.

Kind regards,

Kristof

Former Member
0 Kudos

A quick note to say that I just opened a question on the "same" topic but on a BOE 4.1 SP2 fresh install.

I have the same error in logs, same steps and end up with an unusable install.

The main difference I see with your description is that I don't think that I have port 6400 open, although I can see a CMS process talking with the SQLServer DB (+- 20Mbytes exchanged at timeout)

I will update this thread if mine gets answered.

X.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. I've analysed the procmon log today, and I can confirm that the CMS process is indeed exchanging data with SQL Server and has an active connection throughout.

I have logged an incident with SAP Support as well; I'll make sure to update this thread as well should I get any helpful information from their side.

Kind regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos

I read Xavier's post too and would share the same suggestions with you as well.

Check if you have multiple nic cards and set the priority. Make sure the one you have set on the top is written first in the hosts file.

Now based on the logs and the mentioned details, you say that the CMS is up and running but still the CMS is unable to allow a connection. So my bet would be some where in the network side only.

See if the above helps and also just on a best practice side in the hosts file. Make sure that you give the space between the IP, host name, FQDN with "TAB" and not with the "space bar"

Regards,

Sarvjot Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The hosts file already had entries of both the BI4 and peripheral systems, both hostname and FQDN.

Kind regards,

Kristof

former_member196781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kristof,

We had a similar issue and the problem was simply that the Administrator account was locked (or there was a need to set a new password when trying to login, because of password policies, which was not passed on to the setup procedure..unfortunately I'm not sure anymore at the moment)

Just check what happens if you try to login with your Administrator account.

Krgds

Moritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moritz,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, the service account we're using for the SIA isn't locked (I double checked to be sure).

Kind regards,

Kristof

former_member196781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kristof,

Not the SIA service account (Windows).

I mean the CMS account "Administrator" (inside BO), which is used during the update setup.

Krgds

Moritz

0 Kudos

Hi Kristof,

On the windows server where BI4 will be installed, ensure that IPV4 is preferred over IPV6 by following the Microsoft Kbase 929852. You must execute this fix.

After this is done Run a repair.

I had this same problem and this worked for me.

Regards,

Mauro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mauro,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, we disabled IPv6 completely, both on the LAN adapter as system-wide in the registry as described in the Microsoft KB you referenced.

Kind regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos

And I thought SAPBI4 is IPv6 ready, no ifs, no buts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's what I thought initially as well, however SAP note 1668254 seems to say otherwise.

raphael_branger
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kristof

It is not very probable, but have you analyzed what process listens on port 6400 when the error happens? Maybe something else than the temporary CMS blocks the port.

Cheers

Raphael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for your suggestion. The port 6400 is used by the temporary CMS that the setupengine.exe process started. I can also connect to this port (e.g. using telnet) without issue.

Kind regards,

Kristof

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kris,

As per the error message mentioned the installer is unable to start temporary CMS during installation due to communication failure.

Please try to add hostname, IP address and FQDN entry in Windows hosts file. Also confirm that the default localhost entry is present in the file and not commented.

Regards,

Hrishikesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hrishikesh,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, the host file already contained the IP, hostname and FQDN for each server in the BOBJ platform.

Kind regards,

Kristof

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See this any thing miss from your side

http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform/blog/2014/06/13/sap-businessobjects-business-intelligence-s...

All updated information and installation guide having this link..

Thanks,

DJ