cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For which cases BRFplus is not recommended

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

As a general rule are there some cases where BRFplus is not recommended over custom built ABAP logic? if yes, are there some guidelines that should be considered to make the call? I mean flexibility, lets say that the customer says that is a static requirement and that there is no need for end user interaction or update, in such case are there other reasons that would lean the call towards BRFplus or custom ABAP code?

Thanks,

Mario

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I'd agree with Tobias, but add that although you should avoid updating/deleting directly in rules - it's perfectly fine to trigger fire-and-forget actions that start creations/updates/deletes.

Otherwise the calling application should handle the creations/updates/deletes.

Also it is a WDA tool - so if you are doing rules in Java the standard recommendation is to use SAP BRM.

It's more interesting if you are talking about HANA as there are some use cases for BRFplus with HANA - particularly if you are looking at using BRFplus with the governance tool SAP Decision Service Management!

We see plenty of people using BRFplus for pricing and tax calculations. I've also seen it for collection strategies (dunning).... and I'm using it currently for implementing legislation - e.g. calculating entitlement amounts for benefits.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jocelyn, would it be correct to phrase it like this:

If there are conditions/calculations/or business logic to derive a result, then we can use BRFplus to model this logic, the result may be then used to update an object, e.g. pricing calculation.

christianlechne
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

I would say your phrase describes the strategy for using BRF+ where the result of the conditions/calculations/business logic is a decision in its broadest sense including reuslts of calculations.

You should also keep in mind that the decison services you model within BRF+ should be idempotent which reflects the non-changing of the business object in the rules.

BR

Christian

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes that's it and useful addition by Christian. 

There should be clear separation of the decision service and its underlying business rules , and what you do with the result of the rules. 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting question. BRFplus is neither a general code  generation tool like the Code Composer nor is a code generator like the WDA design time. So I recommend to use BRFplus for:

• calculations
  • determinations
  • decisions

Don't use BRFplus in a general context für data manipulation  like update/delete.

Does this answer help you?

Best Regards,

Tobias