Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Developer - Career Path

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I have been working on ABAP development since 1 year in Toronto,Canada.. I am now in search of exploring other technical platforms available in SAP....Considering the no.of.options available to choose i am not able to decide the route which would boost my career as i progress in that direction.. 

Need your valuable suggestions regards to the best route for my SAP technical career in Canada/General..

Below are the list of interests i have

-> HANA - BW/Development

-> BI/BW - Extract/Reporting

-> XI/PI ( i have the opportunity to get experience on this platform , as its already implemented in my company)

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time !

- Karthik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Normally I would not tell someone to pick a specific option, However if you have interest and also your employer wI'll provide you the opportunity then choose PI/XI. Never underestimate on the job training and experience HANA will come eventually and might be something you study on the side.

11 REPLIES 11

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Normally I would not tell someone to pick a specific option, However if you have interest and also your employer wI'll provide you the opportunity then choose PI/XI. Never underestimate on the job training and experience HANA will come eventually and might be something you study on the side.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Colleen. Appreciate it !

ronaldo_aparecido
Contributor
0 Kudos

I have same question ,  I think hana is interesting because you can program.

But we can´t decide for you.

You need read about that 3 options and choose.

This link about hana is good but you need to analize.

thanks.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your recommendation. I will have a look

- Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

You need to check pros and cons if you are in Canada.  In terms of job opportunity because one of my friend who is in SAP BI moved from Canada to US 5 years back. You have to check the job opportunity to get you what you want like job satisfaction, money etc.  SAP PI/PO is right option but check how many implementations are there in Canada but if you are willing to travel out of Canada then it is fine.  However, if you look at SAP BI and SAP HANA have huge market place and a lot of opportunity and again competitions lit bit more.

Consult with your known SAP friends and choose wise decision.

Best of luck.

Regards

GGOPII

0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendation. Appreciate it !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Moving one platform to another platform you required very huge effort to grasp new technology skills. You will consider as fresher once you moved. You are abaper then choose --OO, WD, WF, FPM, BOPF, BRF +, ABAP for HANA(Quit interesting), Adobe Froms(S/I) will easy to grasp as a person who has exp. in ABAP.

If you wanted to go with HANA...You should have to know Native SQL, OLTP, OLAP etc.

Choice is yours depends upon depth of interest.

-

Regards,

Amol

0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendation. Appreciate it !

priyanka_kumari23
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

I would suggest you to go for the below two things two learn one by one..As both are inter related..

-> HANA - BW/Development

Thanks,

Priyanka

0 Kudos

Thanks Priyanka for your suggestion. Appreciate it !

0 Kudos

Hi,

after learning the  SAP BW/BI you can learn the HANA

are you intrested on BW on HANA or Pure HANA.

HANA - BW/Development

if you learn the above thing your are market in good.

Thanks,

Phani.