cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2008 closes when linking tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Crystal Reports 2008 connected to an ODBC database. Tables can be selected however, anytime I try to move to the Links tab Crystal Reports errors and closes. It is only on this database that the program closes.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This issue causes ODBC Driver Access permission issue..

The following registry key resolved the problem:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\Database\ODBC\

"AccessMode" as a Reg_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Here are the steps:

1. Go to Registry Editor (Click Start > Run > type regedit > OK)

2. Navigate to :

for Crystal Reports 2008 on 64 bit machine

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\Database

for Crystal Reports 2008 on 32 bit machine

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\Database

3. Right click the Database registry key > select New > Key > name the key ODBC

4. Right click the ODBC key > select New > DWord value > name it AccessMode

5. Make sure the value is default:  0x00000000 (0)

6. Restart the Crystal Reports and try again.

Thanks,

DJ

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I went into options and removed the automatic smart linking, it then allowed me to move forward with linking the tables.

Since I can not say all the other suggestions did not help.....Thank you all - Ludek Uher, Brian Dong, Dhananjay G for your time and help!!

Thank you 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Ludek. We called SAP and explained our problem again and was given the link to download the full build with SP 7 rather than the download page with all SP's and Fixes.

I uninstalled CR08, reinstalled using the new file. Crystal Reports closed with  the attempt to link tables.

I followed DJ's instructions in changing the registry key. Crystal Reports closed again.

So here is a bit of additional information which may help.

I do not have a problem with Crystal Reports linking to a local (Access-based) Database . My problem is when I link to our accounting database hosted on a off-site server.

Any other suggestions?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Crystal, what database is it? What happens if you try to connect via OLE DB?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Database that has the issue is Skyward School Management Systems. I have to connect through a VPN Client and then ODBC connection.

Sorry, you are talking to a very "non-techy" person. They sent instructions for ODBC connect. I'm not sure how to connect vai OLE DB.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You also want to make sure that you are using the latest Service Pack for CR 2008. Unfortunately the only way to get that is to contact sales and get an ftp link from them. Ph: 866-681-3435

http://www.sap.com/contactsap/directory/index.epx

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestions; we are working our way through them.

We tried Dhananjay G's suggestion but it did not help in this instance. We are now in the process of downloading all the updates. We are missing Service Packs and a Fix Pack. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR 2008 SP 7 (the latest SP) can now be downloaded from here:

http://service.sap.com/sap/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Ludek Uher.

We were able to install the service pack 4 but that is the only one we could install without the following error:

"Crystal Reports 2008 SP Update cannot install because the version of the product on the system is too low."

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah. That is because the file on the downloads page I referenced is incremental update. Sales will be able to provide a link to a full build SP 7

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Crystal,

If DJ's suggestion does not work, please reply with the database and versions you are working with that crashes and does not crash.

If they are the databases are the same, for example SQL Server 2008 then I'm not sure changing the registry will work and we'll have to take a closer look at the driver you are using or the database itself.

Thanks,

Brian