Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Possible to Re-Distribute an ALE Dist. Model View with a New Message Type?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am wondering if the followings can be done. Suppose we have 2 systems A and B which are connected through ALE. System A is the original ALE distribution model maintenance system. So in system A we create a distribution model view and add one message type to it. After that we distribute the new model view to system B. (I leave out the steps of creating partner profiles, RFC Destinations,etc. because these are not relevant to our problem.) So far, so good. However, I want to add another message type to the distribution model view in System B and send the modified distribution model view  back to system A. I know that i can change the owner of distribution model view in system B and then i can add the new message type. But what happens if i send back (distribute) the modified model view to system A? Will the original distribution model view be updated with the new message type?

Ty, Dov.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this a theoretic question? 

Why do you need to add a message type in the system B and then bring it back to the original system A.

Usually you have one customizing system. Can't you add the message type in A and get it again to B? This would at least be a consistent strategy.

Even I have not tried, but I think that system A is overwritten if you transport the chances made in system B back to A.

This should be a pretty similar scenario like this: a distribution model was maintained directly in production, then a new compliance policy way implemented and it is no more allowed to do it directly in production, so we need to do it in development and transport it to production.

2 REPLIES 2

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this a theoretic question? 

Why do you need to add a message type in the system B and then bring it back to the original system A.

Usually you have one customizing system. Can't you add the message type in A and get it again to B? This would at least be a consistent strategy.

Even I have not tried, but I think that system A is overwritten if you transport the chances made in system B back to A.

This should be a pretty similar scenario like this: a distribution model was maintained directly in production, then a new compliance policy way implemented and it is no more allowed to do it directly in production, so we need to do it in development and transport it to production.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

no, this is a real life scenario. Of course, if it would be completely up to me, i would do it the way u suggest: having one customizing system (a master system) and distribute the distribution model views from there to the other (slave) systems.  However, at this company, for certain reasons, they wanted to do it as i described it in my previous post.

So i am still curious if the model view with the new message type (added in system B) will modify the original distibution model view in system A after sending it back with the distribution function of transaction BD64.

Dov