cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we run 2 instances with 2 separate database in a single host?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We had one instance and we installed one more instance in the same host machine. After the installation we can't start both the instances at the same time on the same server.

Kindly help.

Advanced thanks & Regards

Anoop

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anoop,

Please check the SAP note mentioned below, might throw some light.

1729176 - SYB: Changing the listener port of Sybase ASE

Thanks.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Answers (14)

Answers (14)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Port conflict may be our problem. A little help to change default port number of sybase ASE should be appreciated.

Regards,

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have Log files with >1 mb

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

Please post log files for both PCD and PCP Systems from the path <Drive>:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\install

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need guide lines to change port id of my instance. Please help.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are OSS notes about this - just search for them.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

That might be the cause of error, both PCP and PCD databases are using on the same ports. That is why you are not able to start both the instances simultaneously.

I am not an expert in Sybase but you need to change the ports for one of the Databases to make them both run simultaneously.

Check with your DB administrator on how to change the Ports or you have to reinstall one of the DB.

Regards,

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AC,

This port(Shown in the screen shot) is used by PCP(Second instance) It was automatically given at the time of installation.

Actually i have npo idea about the port of PCD(First instance).

Regards,

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

are these same ports used for both the DBSID (PCD and PCP)?

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Consider this too..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Here is the log of both instance's,screen shot(Port defining at the time of installation) as well as Host file .I couldn't find dec_disp log, Could you please provide the path ?

Thanks and Regards,

Anoop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

If you are able to start 1 instance when the other is down and Vice versa means the Installation of DB as well as SAP is perfect for both.

I am sure what issue you are having is due to some port conflict. Check dev_ms and dec_disp logs.In your MMC, you can see which components stop running like the dispatcher or message server. Check corresponding logs and paste them here as well.

If you have taken step by step screenshots of installation of both the system, I'd suggest you check the screenshots, specifically the screens where you have provided ports.

Also check host file and services file for any conflict.

Regards,

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AC,

DB:-Sybase ASE

We have 2 different instances with 2 different database running on same server machine. yes we can start one instance while other is down.

Immediate help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

You have two different SAP systems installed on one physical server. Please provide the following details.

Which OS and Database are you using?

Do you have a common database and used MCOD for installation of Two different servers?

Are you able to start one if the Other is down and vice versa ?

Regards,

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

For ease of understanding our first instance is PCD and newly installed is PCP.  We did PCP installation successfully right after PCD and we have 00 and 01 instance numbers respectively.

I think unless instance number problem other factors like port number might cause our installation miserable.So i would like to know about it, please help.

Thanks And Regards,

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you installed it, did you give the second instance a different system number? That's how multiple installations are distinguished. Typically the first installation gets system number 00 and a second would be 01 (although you can choose any 2-digit number, apart from 99).

Steve.