cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea to put 2 report systems to the same BOXI Servers with separated services?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I’ve researched the possibility to put 2 report systems to the same BOXI Servers with separated services.

Background:

Currently, I have 2 BO systems. Both of them are BOXI 3.1. SP5 and have their own web (Says Web1 and Web2) and BO servers (App1 and App2).

Current Environment

System1: Web 1 and BO App1

System 2: Web 2 and BO App2

||

||

V

Target environment

Since both of them are BO, I need to put these 2 systems together to beneficial on licensing cost and maintenance.

Bo: CommonApp (App1 and App2 stay together here)

Web for System1: Web1 (no change)

Web for System2:  Web 2 (no change)

Requirement:

1. 1. Both system has their own login page (since different web)
  2. 2. Both system work independently.

Condition : I need to separate BO services (i.e., servers) since downtime of both app are different.

I have started researching but need to narrow down my research since there are a lot of information when google or SCN.

Questions:

1. 1. Should I call this kind of architecture as Clustered BO?
  2. 2. I think I need to have different CMS (due to different log in, user). Can 2 CMS stay in one SIA?
  3. 3. Can we create 2 SIA separately so that we can put all services for System1 to SIA1 and all services for system2 to SIA2
  4. 4. Could you please share if there is any link or KB regarding this.

Thank you in advance.

Awora

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Awora,

When two or more systems ( BO ) point to a single CMS db, they are known to be in cluster.

In this case, you have two installations. If they both point to a single CMS database then they are clustered.

if they are pointing to individual CMS db, then they are just two different machines.

If you wish to cluster them, you need to point the SIA of System 2 to System 1's CMS db.

To do so, check clustering topics:How-to create an SAP BusinessObjects XI 3.1 cluster (on Windows) - Business Intelligence (BusinessOb...

With the scenario above, you should have seperate logins for 2 machines.

However, any reporting request coming to a particular server ( for ex: webi processing server ), it will be load balanced internally )

If you wish to keep CMS on one node and processing tier on another, then its called distributed system.

Check here for distributed setups

http://help.sap.com/boe31sp5/

check guides above.

Regards,

Atul B

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answer. I'm very appreciate on your response.

Clustering Requirement seems to be a little bit changed and not stable now.

I'll get back if I have further information.

Thank you very much.

Awora

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Can we create 2 SIA separately so that we can put all services for System1 to SIA1 and all services for system2 to SIA2"

Yes, you can and note that

- you need a 2 different set of TCP/IP ports for SIA/CMS/FrsInput/Frsoutput servers,

- Webi on SIA1 can fetch data from reportingDB1 while Webi on SIA2 can fetch data from reportingDB2.  For example, if your reporting db is Oracle, define reportingDB1 and reportingDB2 in the $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Awora,

If you want to merge the TWO Systems into ONE System, you can use the Import Wizard in XI 3.1 from least used system and copy to other system.   Once the CMS ( Content & Security ) has been merged then you can use ONE server.

Regards,

Ajay