cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning of Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to clean the objects in the universe which are not used since last 1 year. Is there any way to find out the unused objects since last 1 year.

Thanks in advance !!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We can do this using the audit universe. we can generate the webi report which give the details which report ran which date and another webi for the report and its objects.

manually you can use both the extracts and find out used objects.

consider Reaming objects from the universe are unused.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mate,

Unfortunately you can't perform this from the given functionality! However there are some third party tools that you may use to identify each and every objects behavior re universe, report etc.

Tools called - Sherlock (Announcing Sherlock 3 | EV Technologies, Inc)

which will enable you to get insides information e.g., which objects has been used/created/modified where/how/when.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any possibility to find out the objects in universe(dimensions/measures/details)  which are not used in particular period ???

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot capture this information. Out of box, this functionality is not availble.

former_member190767
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

My first and initial question would be, why do you want to clean a Universe?

In case you have objects you want to remove, please make sure you just HIDE the objects instead of removing them directly..

Auditing can indeed help you in understanding which objects are used. to record this, you should switch on the "Query" option under "Set Events Details" within the CMC - Auditing settings. If not switched on already, there is no option for you to collect this information at this point of time.

If the "Query" setting is not enabled, to only option you can consider is to write some SDK code opening every document and record which objects are used within it's queries or check out our Partner Solution of APOS : http://www.apos.com/content/apos-insight

this may provide you with the required information

Regards

Merlijn

Former Member
0 Kudos

The plan is to hide the unused objects only.. and audit database is working just fine.

I want to create a report which capture all the used/unused universe objects. Please let me know if how to create that report in detail using audit universe.

Thanks,
Srinivas Adepu

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Srinivas,

Using the Auditing database you can find out which objects are user but NOT which objects are NOT used. 

Your options I can think of is to:

• Use the Auditing database to capture what objects are used by what reports
  • Deploy the Audit UNX and sample Crystal reports to get this information
  • You could also use Query Analysis but I don't think you can get a list of ALL objects within Universe

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

could you let me know what all objects should be used to capture universe object details which are used from last one year

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just as a note:

To be on a safe side, never delete a universe object directly. Create a class called for instance Recycle Bin, hidden from all users, and move the old/useless objects there.