cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant messaging - how to activate?

0 Kudos

I've seen this demonstrated, and in a few slides, but I seem to have hit a dead-end in implementing the Instant Messaging feature in CRM IC.

I have followed the application help as detailed here and followed the guide from John Burton's presentation (pp8-15) - but I only get as far as having the "Buddy" icon in the bottom-left, and being able to add other users to my Buddy List.

It seems that they only appear online if both my user, and the buddy's user are logged on to CRM, logged on to our CTI (we are using SAP BCM) and set as available. And even then, no icons appear under the "Actions".ul

Ideally, we would be wanting to use this feature for transfer of business context after initiating a IM, but we cannot (yet) get even this far.
Any further help/guidance would be much appreciated. There seems to be very little take up of this potentially useful feature.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

I managed to at least get the IM icon to show - entering a Chat address in BCM for each user.

However, when clicking on it, an error of "IM Channel does not exist" is reported, and still no business context transfer icon is available.

Ideas on a postcard, please.

Sigrid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

If you are on release CRM 7 EHP2 SP8 or CRM 7.0 EHP3, SAP Note 2082443 might be helpful.

Best Regards,

Sigrid

0 Kudos

Hi Sigrid

thanks for the reply, but the note is not relevant for us. The issue at hand is that the buddy list works, but I was not able to show the icons in the Action column.

From making some changes in the SAP Contact Center System Configurator relating to Chat, we are able to display the IM icon, but get an error, and we still miss the icons for Business Context Transfer.

former_member187490
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shamsul,

I'm not sure if any of these configuration settings could be the cause, but probably doesn't hurt to double check:

• IM flag is associated with switch ‘CRM_PCC_CEBP’ delivered as a part of CRM EhP1. Before enabling IM flag, switch value needs be set to display or true.
  • BP should be maintained in employee role.
  • The linked CMS should support chat channel. Ex. SAP BCM 7.0 version)
  • Business role must be configured for CEBP. Presence information should be enabled for configured CMS. This can be checked via transaction SPRO and follow the following IMG path: Customer Relationship Management -> Basic Functions -> Communication Management Software Integration -> Define Communication Management Software Profiles
  • Standard delivered BP Relation ‘CRMI01’ should be there in system. BP relation can be checked via transaction BUBA
  • IM flag should be checked to true in chat profile. IM flag n chat profile can be enabled via transaction SPRO and follow the following IMG path: Customer Relationship Management -> Interaction Center WebClient -> Basic Functions  -> Communication Channels -> Define Chat Profiles
  • Polling profile needs to be maintained. Polling profile can be checked via transaction SPRO and follow the following IMG path: Customer Relationship Management-> Interaction Center Web Client -> Basic Functions ->Define Context Area Profile

Regards,

John

0 Kudos

thanks, John.

I think we're closer - the ICI trace now reveals that there is no Chat server available. Now checking with my colleagues responsible for CCI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shamsul,

I am facing exact issues as yours, in the personal list, only the telephone icon is showing in the action column and I cant get the IM or Context icons. I tried all the settings in BCM and all the users have Chat address maintained in BCM but still no icons showing. Do you know what settings you made in BCM to get the icons working?

Thank you in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

This is really a very helpful answer, even I have a similar senario with the client.

Our client is interested to integrate Chat functionality in their SAP CRM Interaction Center (CRM 7.0 EHP3). They need this functionalityonly to interact with their own employees by integration Office MS Lync and not to outsiders.

Is it possible to provide such an integration with their existing Microsoft communicator? If yes, please share the details of your earlier experience.

Note: We are not immediately considering CTI integration.

Thank you in advance

- Rgds

Sai Srinivas Ivaturi

former_member187490
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sai,

With CRM 7.0 EHP1, SAP introduced it's own CRM Instant Messenger tool that is fully integrated with the Interaction Center and other CRM WebClient business roles. This tool uses SAP proprietary technology rather than e.g., Microsoft Lync. With the SAP CRM Instant Messenger tool you can not only send instant messages to other internal CRM users, but you can also transfer screens, initiate phone calls, send emails, and check online presence info. This functionality does of course require CTI integration such as SAP Contact Center (formerly SAP BCM).

Unfortunately I am not aware of any way to integrate Microsoft Lync or Microsoft Communictor into the SAP CRM WebClient.

Warm regards,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much John, this is information will really help me.

0 Kudos

ok - finally got this working!

I'll write up some more detail in a blog, but aside from the customising settings I posted and those from John Burton, we were missing some vital setup in SAP Contact Center (formerly known as SAP BCM).

#1 - in Infrastructure Administrator, ensure that Chat Server is installed and running

#2 - in System Configurator, ensure that an email address is maintained for each User in the Chat Address and E-Mail Address fields - Chat Name is optional

When this is all set, IM is activated by the user selecting a colleague from their own maintained "buddy list", and choosing the IM icon. This opens a popup window and chat is done there. The IM icon appears next to the Buddy List icon at bottom left of screen, and flashes when there is an active chat.

What we STILL miss though - which is really what I'm looking for, is the icon for Business Context Transfer...might be worth a OSS on that one

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Would you know if the proprietary CRM Instant Messenger works for group chat i,e. more than 2 people in a chat?. CTi integration being SAP Contact Center.

Thank you,

Gerald.

former_member187490
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gerald,

No, I don't believe that the "group chat" concept is supported. I suppose this would be difficult to accomplish technically since certain features like Send Context, Telephone Call, etc., are not possible with multiple participants.

Warm regards,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Quick question...

Is it possible to enable IC Instant Messaging if the customer is NOT using BCM as the CTI integration?

former_member187490
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, CRM Instant Messaging requires CTI integration, but it does not necessarily require SAP Contact Center (formerly SAP BCM).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kudos for the reply delay! .

Thanks, I'll check it out with my architects.

Wondering if there is a "good" configuration guide available somewhere? My google search seems not to be offering what I'm expecting... 😞

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sigrid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

The related documentation in the SAP Library might be also helpful for you

Instant Messaging for Internal Collaboration - Communication Management Software - SAP Library

It contains all steps John mentioned in his posting.

Under Communication Management Software - SAP Library  you will find all the related documentation (context transfer and context area).

Best Regards,

Sigrid

Sigrid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

You might also implement SAP note 2096218.

Best Regards,

Sigrid