Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindly guide about choice of SAP module

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a MBA(Marketing) with 10 yrs experience in banking and wealth management companies as Relationship Manager. Presently I am 35 yrs of age and want to go for SAP for uplift of my career.

Request you to kindly guide which SAP module will be suitable for me ? I am looking out for FI module, is it a right choice ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vikrant,

With 10 years experience, I believe you must be in middle management or your your organisation. I do not think even age would not be a constraint to become a SAP consultant. There are many consultants even who started their career after 40.

But, before coming and selecting SAP your sole career option for the future, you need to answer:

a) What is the main motivation for becoming an SAP Consultant? Is it Passion or Money?

b) What if I get 1/4th of my current salary?

c) What if I am reporting to people who are less than half of my experience?

d) What if I only need to work as a consultant for the rest of my life with no managerial positions?

e) Am I really ready for continuous learning various technologies and modules within SAP for rest of my life?

If not today, at one point of your future SAP Career, you need to answer your questions? If you answer these questions now, it would help you to take a wise choice of your career.

In my opinion, module really does not matter. If somebody is having common knowledge, right perspective, then no module is difficult. I strongly believe SAP is not a rocket science. After all, it is just a software. Any software can be mastered over a period of time.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

7 REPLIES 7

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vikrant,

With 10 years experience, I believe you must be in middle management or your your organisation. I do not think even age would not be a constraint to become a SAP consultant. There are many consultants even who started their career after 40.

But, before coming and selecting SAP your sole career option for the future, you need to answer:

a) What is the main motivation for becoming an SAP Consultant? Is it Passion or Money?

b) What if I get 1/4th of my current salary?

c) What if I am reporting to people who are less than half of my experience?

d) What if I only need to work as a consultant for the rest of my life with no managerial positions?

e) Am I really ready for continuous learning various technologies and modules within SAP for rest of my life?

If not today, at one point of your future SAP Career, you need to answer your questions? If you answer these questions now, it would help you to take a wise choice of your career.

In my opinion, module really does not matter. If somebody is having common knowledge, right perspective, then no module is difficult. I strongly believe SAP is not a rocket science. After all, it is just a software. Any software can be mastered over a period of time.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your quick reply. It is quite helpful for me.

Regarding the questions you asked, kindly find the revert:-

a) The main motivation is both passion and money. However I know that in initial few years I may have to compromise on money part. But in long term I will find myself in better place.

b) For beginning as I said earlier that I am ready to compromise on lower salary. But what will be the expected growth rate in salary after that ?

c)I don't have any issue in reporting someone with less experience than me.

d) I am not able to understand this questions. Why I need to work as a consultant only for rest of life ? as I think that once I have enough experience in this field , I can grow upto managerial level also.

e)Yes I am ready to learn new technologies as I know that I need to upgrade my knowledge on

continuous basis.

Request you to kindly guide.

Regards,

Vikrant Mahajan

0 Kudos

If you think SAP is your passion, then it is the right choice. I cannot predict your salary as there are not standard norms to predict. It is based on your performance / company's performance.

Working as a consultant for life time is not a degraded affair. Many people would prefer to be consultants rather going for managerial positions. It is based on the individual's interest.

If you are willing to continuously learn, then you can give a try for SAP.

All the best.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the guidance.

Also, I want to know one more thing. When I went to SAP institute for training for the same. One of them mentioned that instead of SAP in any specific module, I should go for their PCERP (Professional Certification in Enterprise Resource Planning).As, they said that PCERP is a course which will not only give me a certification in any one module in SAP, but also will give me and idea about ABAP and a additional module in SAP. It will add multi speciality to my skill and will help me to get better job.

Need guidance that whether I should go for PCERP or just a SAP module ?

Regards,

Vikrant Mahajan

0 Kudos

Thanks Vikrant. I know you should have minimum awareness of other modules. But, for the PCERP (whatever so called), looks like "jack of all, master of none type". It is not possible to learn every module in this SAP. I am not sure whether it would give you additional edge. Tomorrow, you cannot claim you are consultant in a particular area. It looks they give the very basics in all modules, which may not help you at all. For them teaching very basics in different modules is very easy, does not require much additional effort.

You should choose where you want to be, go in that route.

For example, functional then learn SD --> CRM and so on, but not all the modules please.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

former_member183294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi VIKRANT MAHAJAN

As said Ravi sir,

I Would like to add about SAP module.

has you shared you exp in WMS and RM

SD and TR is related you profile and Other t

<<removed by moderator - do not copy the list of definitions of all modules when Google can achieve same result - SD, TR, FI and CO definitions removed >>

With Regards,

Ganehs

Message was edited by: Colleen Lee

0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for your suggestion

Regards,

Vikrant Mahajan