Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO from BIP to BW with Active Directory Authentication

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

The Question:

How do I configure an SSO connection between BOBIP 4.1 and a SAP BW system when Active Directory is doing the user authentication?

Environment:

BOBIP 4.1 SP4, BW 7.02 SP16.  Version of active directory is unknown.

Background:

Installer has installed BOB 3.1 with SAP authentication in the past.  This provided SSO to BW without confusion.

What I Want:

User account is created by and managed by Active Directory. 

User account in SAP BW has the same user name as in AD and BIP. 

User log-in is validated against Active Directory.

Once user logs in to BIP (using AD account details) user is able to access SAP BW data without further logins to the SAP BW system.

Details:

I have configured the active directory authentication module and it is working.

I cannot find anything describing how to set up the connection to BW with SSO that does not require that BIP is using SAP login authentication.

Where I have looked:

I could not find the answer to my question in the installation guide, the pattern books or by Googling.  It seems fundamental.  Maybe it is so obvious that everyone can see it but me.  (Clearly _I_ only know enough to be dangerous...) 

I have searched this forum, but the product names have changed so often (SAP BW -> SAP BI -> SAP BW, BOBJ -> BOB -> BOBIP -> BIP -> ???) that I am not sure what I should really be searching for.  And if I did, would the people who posted the questions and answers I am looking for have used the right names?  I doubt it.  Anyhow, I tried and failed.

So thank you for reading this far, and thank you for your help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

You can achieve this by either configuring SNC or STS in BI 4.1.

If you want SSO to BW using .UNV universe configure SNC.

If you want SSO to BW using .UNX universe or BICS connection, configure STS.

The reason there is less confusion in 3.1 is because there is no BICS or UNX, hence you can only configure SNC.

SNC configuration is same in 3.1 and 4.x:  1396213 - How-To: Access BusinessObjects....

STS configuration: How to setup SSO against SAP BW with SAP BO BI4.0 Common Semantic Layer (UNX) or BICS

Certain settings are common for SNC and STS: How to map SAP users and LDAP users in SBO BI4.0 CMC

After configuring SNC or STS if it still doesn't work in 4.1, use this 1500150 - Troubleshooting SNC server trust setup, STS issues, prerequisites, tracing, etc in SAP Bus...

-Nikhil Nair

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos