cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stderr getting bigger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts.

We have an SAP ECC and for some reason the stderr file is getting bigger and bigger (getting a few dozen KB written to every few minutes)

when I looked into it I saw entries like this:

[Thr 8664] Sun Oct 19 11:32:23 2014

[Thr 8664] ***LOG Q0I=> NiPGetHostByName: '<server name>' not found: getaddrinfo [ninti.c 897]

[Thr 8664] NiHLGetNodeAddr: hostname '<server name>' not found by operating system

Also this entries:

[Thr 8664] RFC UUID: ab_rfccheck_uuid compare uuid's {6B6A57E4-6172-F1FA-A8F3-005056A50005}

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:CONVERT

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:ELENGTH

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:PPWD

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:PROXY

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:PUSER

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:PWD

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:TIMEOUT

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:TRACE

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:URI

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving P:USER

[Thr 8664] RFC Receiving T:REQ

I have looked a bit and found this discussion:

but unless I missed something we don't have this old monitoring as this is our ECC and not SM.

Also - the servers are old servers that no longer exist... however I did manage to find two of them in OAC0 under : "HTTP content server" storage type

Is there anywhere else I can look to find the cause of this entries?

can I find an RFC based on the uuid? (as this might give me a hint of what is trying to find the old servers)

Regards,

Imanuel Rahamim.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

gabriella_kiss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

maybe you could check:

Which stderr file is growing, stderr1, stderr2, ... etc, These are written by the executables, which are started one by one in the start profile. We could identify, which executable is involved.

(In the above referenced link, the causer was the igs process.)

Regards Gabriella

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Imanuel,

how often the entries are written to stderr? Is it always the same interval? You can check, which jobs are running at that times or you can check statistics entries in STAD with these time stamps, and probably you will get an idea, which report/program creates the entries.
What appears in syslog for these entries, what are the details for these entries in SM21?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imanuel,

Please check these link

Regards,

Dhuvaraganathan M.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I have seen this one, but it does not contain the same errors I get in my stderr file.

Regards,

Imanuel Rahamim.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. Could you share you OS/DB & SAP version?

2. Just add in you local host file IP=SAP Host name & IP = SAP host name in FQDN or In network configuration have you added the DNS servers enters? and then check the same

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Os - windows 2008 R2

SAP ECC 6.0 7.02 SP09

DB - oracle 11

The issue is not with resolving the host name, but with the fact that the host name is even called.

Those are old server that no longer exist.

Regards,

Imanuel Rahamim.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Imanuel,

You should identify the root cause and fix it.

Even if you delete these files and programs will regenerate them again if issue is not fixed.

Check places where you have used this host name, RFCs and configuration.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried looking everywhere but I cannot find what is the cause, that is why I need your help.

For example - I cannot find the translation between UUID to the RFC name.

Or what other Tcodes can I use to have any idea about the cause (beside SM20,SM21, ST22, ST05 - as I tried them already)

Regards,

Imanuel Rahamim.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

[Thr 8664] ***LOG Q0I=> NiPGetHostByName: '<server name>' not found: getaddrinfo [ninti.c 897]

[Thr 8664] NiHLGetNodeAddr: hostname '<server name>' not found by operating system

The hostname is not identified, perhaps 1st point is to update the host files with hostname and IP address., so the OS can resolve hostname to IP and further applications can communicate.

[Thr 8664] RFC UUID: ab_rfccheck_uuid compare uuid's {6B6A57E4-6172-F1FA-A8F3-005056A50005}

This seems to be OK.. not an error, just an UUID check, which is for uniqueness I believe.

Can you upload the full trance, zipped and all in one.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The hostnames are of servers that we used to have and replaced.

So they are really no longer there and should not be checked out at all.

why is there an OK entry in a file that is supose to log errors? (stderr)

Regards.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps, that is the reason why I asked you to supply full log file and have said 'it seems OK'

Regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You say that these hostnames are removed from your system.

I have questions for you - which system this is ? What were those systems which were removed from your landscape. How were they integrated and what was the purpose of them. Did you check the dev_rfc logs for this system ?

Regards,

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Divyanshu, Imanuel,

I would start with analyzing of available information and not thinking about possible causers. Which process writes entries in stderr? Since some entries starts with "LOG", then one should find a corresponding  entry in the syslog. Under which users entries are created in syslog? If no user is seen, then most likely sidadm creates these entries. And then one should check further, from where sidadm could get the information (profiles?). If this is a report in the SAP system, which creates these entres, then one should find it in STAD. Is a pid of the process seen in stderr file, which creates the entries?

Regards,
Alwina

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If I was having access, I would have figured and fixed it.

But here in this forum, we are restricted with the snapshot of what the user provides .

Regards,

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

yes, I would also find it if I could logon to the system 🙂 and because of this we need at least full trace stderr and entries in SM21. If a full trace cannot be provided, then we need a description as exact as possible:

is pid seen in the stderr?

are the entries periodic?

user in SM21?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I tried STAD and found nothing.

The only thing that happens every few minutes in SM21 are entries like this:

Still - I cannot understand what is the cause of them and even if they are 100% related to the issue.

Regards,

Imanuel Rahamim.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Imanuel,

most likely this entry is not related. From your description you have found this error in stderr:

"

[Thr 8664] Sun Oct 19 11:32:23 2014

"
An entry in a log file which starts with "LOG" should be also in the syslog and the message ID of the syslog message above is Q0I. The time stamps of this entry is " Oct 19 11:32:23 2014". What do you see at this time in the syslog? Can you find this Q0I syslog message?

stderr* files are written by the processes in the same order like the processes are configured in the start profile. The first process from the start profile will write stderr1 file, the second will write stderr2 file and so on. What do you see at the beginning of the stderr file, what is the first entry, which process has written it?

Regards,
Alwina

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Could you refer the SCN thread

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have seen it and checked.

There are jobs that are deleting job logs and removing inconsistent entries.

Also I have used process explorer and the process that keep on writing to the file is disp+work.exe

Still - I cannot find the root cause of this.

Regards,

Imanuel Rahamim.