Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP advice for a beginner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I wanted to get some advice on the different courses available for SAP.

I am hoping to get registered for a course and i was looking at Sales & Operations Planning on Demand Powered by HANA - Features and Configuration. Currently i am working as an information security analyst for a multi-national bank. I have worked in this position for 6 months approx. My previous work experience includes marketing and sales experience from different industries and i have an MBA in marketing and entrepreneurship.

If i take this course, would it be too technical for me? (keeping in view my previous work experience and expertise).

What are the opportunities for me to get a job in USA or any other country after taking this course?

As a starting point, which course should i register for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

AK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi AK

The course doesn't mean much without course codes, etc.

It seems interesting you are doing security analyst role with marketing background. Does the security work interest you at all? You could consider learning SAP Security, Identity Management, Single-Sign-On or Governance, Risks and Compliance with the work experience you have.

At the same time, I understand you might want to get back to your original background - marketing. Hard to say if something is too technical for you. That is a relative statement and really depends on how you learn, etc. Hard work and determination with some aptitude is essential.

In relation to working in the USA... Which country are you currently in? I cannot comment on working in USA as I'm not from there but I assume you would need work VISA, etc. The reality is that the job market is quite competitive for juniors/freshers/beginners. You might find it challenging to get sponsored as a beginner. If working overseas is your goal, then an approach would be to try to join a consultancy in your country that provides services to companys in USA and then try to get transferred internally.

Have you investigated if your bank uses SAP? Possibly, you might find opportunities with your current employer.

When it comes time to studying, think through your financial commitment and time. Have a search of this space and consider that you will find it difficult to search for a job but that's not to see it's impossible. Also, the common advise from others here is do not give up your current job if you can avoid it.

Regards

Colleen

3 REPLIES 3

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi AK

The course doesn't mean much without course codes, etc.

It seems interesting you are doing security analyst role with marketing background. Does the security work interest you at all? You could consider learning SAP Security, Identity Management, Single-Sign-On or Governance, Risks and Compliance with the work experience you have.

At the same time, I understand you might want to get back to your original background - marketing. Hard to say if something is too technical for you. That is a relative statement and really depends on how you learn, etc. Hard work and determination with some aptitude is essential.

In relation to working in the USA... Which country are you currently in? I cannot comment on working in USA as I'm not from there but I assume you would need work VISA, etc. The reality is that the job market is quite competitive for juniors/freshers/beginners. You might find it challenging to get sponsored as a beginner. If working overseas is your goal, then an approach would be to try to join a consultancy in your country that provides services to companys in USA and then try to get transferred internally.

Have you investigated if your bank uses SAP? Possibly, you might find opportunities with your current employer.

When it comes time to studying, think through your financial commitment and time. Have a search of this space and consider that you will find it difficult to search for a job but that's not to see it's impossible. Also, the common advise from others here is do not give up your current job if you can avoid it.

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Colleen,

Thanks a lot for a detailed response

Security work is interesting. I had to change my career path because of the limited job opportunities in Marketing. I am currently working in USA but would not mind moving to another country.
I do have a work visa currently but it is for a limited period of time, so i might have to switch my job at some point.

Which country are you from? would you be able to suggest any consultancy in your country?

Its always helpful to approach a local consultancy of the area instead of working with a foreign one.

Thanks again,

AK

srinu_s1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
As a starting point, which course should i register for?

I would say either SAP-SD or CRM .