Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop connection - CRM : account grouping in creation

Marga_MRM
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everybody

I am working with CRM 7 EPH 3  and desktop connection 2.0  sp2

Can anyone tell me if we have different Grouping for contact person and Accounts how is this solved in Desktop connection?

Where can I tell to the CRM which one must use when I create them from Outlook?

Thanks in advance

Marga  Ribes

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Marga_MRM
Participant
0 Kudos

Does this means then that  I should change the Default API to change this logic?

Is it possible?

Thanks

Marga

0 Kudos

Hello Marga,

let me give some additional technical information, maybe that helps to understand the "big picture".

During the creation of a Contact or an Account the Grouping Information which is linked to the number range that is used, is read with FM "BUP_TB001_SELECT_WITH_XINST". This FM takes the default flags out of customizing (when it is not modified to have a special behavior) - as it is done also in Transaction BP and in WebUI...

...when NOT grouping information is set manually. This manual setting however cannot be done via the service per default.

How to enhance the solution to get a "special behavior" implemented depends on the aim:

Do I want to have an additional field in Outlook where I want the user to select the correct group?

Or do I want to implement my own logic to determine the grouping information?

In both cases I would create my own service classes which derive from the standard service classes and reimplement the methods CREATE_ENTITY of the affected entity types (AccountMain and ContactPerson). I would copy the code of the standard methods and bring in my own enhancements.

Now either (in case 1 -> special behavior) I would implement my own logic right before the call of FM BUPA_CREATE_FROM_DATA and fill the optional paramter of this FM...

...or (case 2 -> field in Outlook) I would enhanace the call for FM BUPA_CREATE_FROM_DATA and also the entity type ddic structure and the meta model of the service. Afterwards I would enhance the customization package to have a new field in OL.

At the end, I would register my "new Service" and use that with Desktop Connection.

Best regards,

Alex

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Marga,

Accounts and Contacts are handled as 2 objects in Outlook: They have different UIs and are stored in different folders in Outlook.

Maybe take a look to this presentation to get an idea how the UI is looking:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/download/attachments/368836875/Desktop%20Connection%20for%20SAP%20CRM%2...

Does this help or do you need additional information?

BR,
Alex

Marga_MRM
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Alexander,

I think maybe I should explain better what I mean.

When we create New accounts and New contacts in Outlook and they are synchronized with CRM, they are created with an ID,   both with the same Range of numbers (assigned as internal  range number by default in custo).

We do usually  use different range numbers for contact persons than for Accounts.

anyway your link is going to be very useful for me.

Is there a way to  choose a range for Contacts and another for Accounts?

Thanks Again.

Marga Ribes

0 Kudos

Hello Marga,

OK, you mean the used number ranges...?

When a Contact or an Account is created in Outlook, it is stored temporarily without a number on the local machine.

As soon as a sync happens, the default API in the CRM backend is called - the same logic applies as it does when WebUI / Transaction BP is used to enter a Contact or Account (i.e. default customizing is used, too).

The assigned number is given back to Outlook during the sync, therefore, you see now a "complete" Contact/Account.

BR,

Alex