cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple dispatacher for High Available Environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently our UI /DB are clustered and installed in dedicated servers.  We have Identity center Management console and dispatcher running in same windows server environment.

I have read it in Identity Center implementation guide that

“High availability requires two dispatchers with identical configuration running on different

Servers”

Should we need to install Run time components on two more servers and configure dispatcher in each ? Is there any guide available for detailed steps on how to configure dispatcher on different RT servers and make it available for identity center ?

Thanks,

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jaisuryan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthikeyan,

I came across the same requirement but Google doesnt bring up any standard document for that. But I found this useful blog by our SCN Topic Leader on setting up distributed dispatchers.

Link below for your consumption.

http://idm-thoughtplace.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-project-i-just-wrapped-up-we.html

Kind regards,

Jaisuryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jaisuryan.

Also can you comment on the hardware configuration that is recommended for setting up distributed dispatcher ?

jaisuryan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthikeyan,

For installing only RT, below is the basic system requirements.

Microsoft Windows 2003 Server

Memory >= 3 GB

CPU >= 2 CPU 2Ghz processor

Disk >= 5 GB

Two or more servers with identical configuration

This information can be found in the document Sizing Guide available in the link

Kind regards,

Jaisuryan

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karthikeyan,

Any Windows system can be used, from XP on up to Windows 2012 server.  I usually reccomend the most basic VM image available from your organization.  Just remember that Java needs to be installed along with the IDM Runtime as mentioned in my blog and to assign the new jobs to the dispatcher.

I would also reccomend reading:

IdM Thoughtplace: Dispatcher Tips, IdM Thoughtplace: Calling all Dispatchers, and IdM Thoughtplace: Some thoughts on database locking in Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server

Regards,

Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot guys ..  indeed very useful..

Also we have observed that CPU usage under performance in windows task manager is touching 100% in the server where identity center MC and dispatcher is setup. Is this nominal ?

I tried tuning dispatcher settings like Max Concurrent rt engines, Max rt engines to start etc. but didn't touch advanced option though and the issue keeps repeating even for simple batch jobs.

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karthikeyan,

What processes are using the most CPU/RAM. 

Unless SAP tells you otherwise, I'd keep dispatcher settings at the defaults. 

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reverting back

Below is what i observed in our environment

CPU usage less than 20%

When dispatcher runs then CPU usage claims to 100%

Resource usage is as below

BR,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your screenshot doesn't show it, but I guess it's the java.exe processes that is using the CPU. Usually it's the start of the JVM and loading of the jar files that is the most CPU intensive. That can be improved using the "Max loops for rt engines" setting which tells the runtime to check for additional jobs X number of times before shutting down. Also check that you don't have an excessivly high "Max rt engines to start" which allows several runtimes to be started at the same time and give peaks like this.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwidmic72/en/mc/dse_agent_options.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. It's the java.exe using the CPU and loading of jar files making it more intensive.

I have observed CPU 100% usage in our lower environment also. So i tried creating 3 dispatchers on the same server with default values. Ran a simple job and i could see that automatically sub tasks are getting processed on either of the dispatchers configured.So could observe how load balancing exactly works here 🙂

Then i tried tuning parameters like Max loops for rt engines, Max rt engines to start etc as mentioned in the dispatcher optimization guide and performance has improved a bit but still CPU usage oscillates between 90-100.

May be should try setting up dispatcher at remote server or segregate jobs for each dispatcher as Matt mentioned in his blog.I will keep posted how it goes.

Thanks all for your inputs.