cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square brackets being displayed incorrectly using Arabic regional settings in Crystal Reports 10.5

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have inherited support for an application that is written in VC# for VS2010 using Crystal Reports 10.5. The application has reports that must be printed in many languages including RTL languages such as Arabic. We have a string that is a concatenation of 2 fields, the second of which we surround with square brackets. When we display the string on a LTR report, the brackets retain their correct position. When we display the string in a RTL report, the field is scrambled a bit.

The TextFormat property for the field is set to crStandardText.

For Example:

The string to be displayed is "KULA YAG EMEK YEM K:1[XXX]

Here is a screen capture of both outputs:

The English output is correct but the Arabic transposes the opening character, in this case the opening square bracket. I've tried this with the following characters and the results are the same: { }, ( ), | |, < >. It appears as if these characters are actively affecting the output, like an escape sequence.

Interestingly enough, if I set the format to crHTMLText, it is formatted correctly as in the English/United States display shown above.

I have seen this problem mentioned on internet forums for a web application and it is fixed by a single function call but I found nothing on the non web usage.

I realize that the output string is being displayed in LTR regardless of the target language direction. I'm just trying to figure out why the brackets are being transposed and what I can do to fix it.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steve

CR 10.5 was not supported in VS 2010. Only SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET (CRVS) can be used with VS 2010 and later.

Oh - before installing CRVS, uninstall CR 105(!). The two versions don't play nice on the same dev computer. Runtime is fine.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Correction to post:

I posted the wrong version of Visual Studio. I am using VS2008, not 2010. I've been using both, on separate projects, and entered the wrong version in the post to this forum.

It's VS2008 that I'm seeing the problem on.

Sorry for the confusion.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NP

Only thing I can suggest for CR 10.5 is Service Pack 1:

There are no more SPs planned for CR 10.5 so if SP 1 does not help, your only option is VS 2010 and SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET

- Ludek

Answers (0)